Musicians Collaboration Studio

How I use Band In A Box. Anyone interested?

TallPaul · 21 · 10739

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
That sounds nice, Tom!

Yeah, I think their piano player gets a little 'busy' at times. The only way to stop that is to change the style which apparently takes a lot of skill.

It sounds to me like you are using a variety of styles in that song? Around the :40 mark?

Nice vocals BTW!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I must have got an email and not checked in!

Paul
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)

Offline detune

• Mark
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Hey Paul, I'll ask this on your thread instead ;D.  I was wondering if there were BIAB Real Tracks based on extended chords / jazz chords.  I think I hear some on My Lost Child.  That sounds really good! 

Mark

Offline detune

• Mark
Oh puke!  The Band in a Box people were involved in the creation of Songsmith!  How could they? :o  For shame!

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
Hi Mark,

Yeah, I had posted a reply to the other topic that got lost, asking that we reconvene here.

You can enter extended chords. Whether or not it's going to play those chords can depend on the style, etc. I attached a sample. For the style of the song I chose _J140_A2 J Smith Jazz Quartet which includes by default real tracks of: Acoustic Bass, drums, rhythm elec jazz guitar, and alto sax. Then I asked it to load a demo song in this style. So in the attached Chords.pdf you can see the first 32 bars were from the demo arrangement (140 BPM). I then added my own 12 bars (plus 2 bars for an ending), just kind of playing around with different voicings. I then told it to make a MIDI file, which has the side effect of dumping the Real Tracks to WAV files and (in my case, and ONLY if you have Real Drums as part of the song. Weird, but true, at least in my case.) dumping a mix out of all the Real Tracks... that's what I posted here as JazzSample1.mp3.

To show how things can go 'wrong', though, I then added a Real Tracks Fiddle. This is in JazzSample2.mp3. Nice sounding fiddle, but how it's played and the chords it's voicing are all wrong for the song!

Paul

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
I'd never heard of Songsmith, and Googled it. Found this link! The Billy Idol take is hilarious!
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/01/31/so-bad-it-hurts-classic-hits-by-microsoft-songsmith/

Paul

Offline detune

• Mark
I'd never heard of Songsmith, and Googled it. Found this link! The Billy Idol take is hilarious!
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/01/31/so-bad-it-hurts-classic-hits-by-microsoft-songsmith/

Paul

Yeah, it's so bad!  It sounds good maybe 10% of the time when Songsmith accidently chooses the right chord!  I'm pretty sure this product is a PR disaster for Microsoft, which is no stranger to releasing stuff that doesn't work.

Your jazz workup sounds amazing.  Who would ever know you used BIAB?  Sounds like you hired a quartet.