Musicians Collaboration Studio

Help Wanted - MSc Project

snowdoguk · 100 · 39646

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Mike,

I read that for the Beatles Rock Band game, the engineers found out a way to derive individual seps (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass and drums from stereo and 4 track master tracks (a lot of the early Beatles music is only available as 2-track and 4-track masters I think). I wonder how they did it, what I understood is that they identified and isolated the frequencies from each instrument and separated them out...

Andy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:38:59 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Mike,

I read that for the Beatles Rock Band game, the engineers found out a way to derive individual seps (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass and drums from stereo and 4 track master tracks (a lot of the early Beatles music is only available as 2-track and 4-track masters I think). I wonder how they did it, what I understood is that they identified and isolated the frequencies from each instrument and separated them out...

Andy

Yep Andy

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12576
"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" Neil Peart

My dad.. "Turn that Banjo down!!"

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Just to thank everyone know who contributed to suggestions for a project.. I've decided to research digital subharmonic generation and produce mathematical models for that, as well as implement a VST version of the results. Thanks for your input everyone  :)

Mike

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
Just to thank everyone know who contributed to suggestions for a project.. I've decided to research digital subharmonic generation and produce mathematical models for that, as well as implement a VST version of the results. Thanks for your input everyone  :)

Mike

oooh, you sound so smart.  :)

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud

Mike

oooh, you sound so smart.  :)

sounding smart is the easy bit Tricia  ;) ::)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Cool

I use a plugin called BadAss for beefing up kickdrums etc.  is that the type of application you'd develop it for ?

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Cool

I use a plugin called BadAss for beefing up kickdrums etc.  is that the type of application you'd develop it for ?

CD

Sort of I guess yes CD.. anything that can be bass enhanced, not just boosting the lower end, but actually creating subharmonic partials from the original signal, with some filtering, which are then mixed with the original signal....

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Sounds like fun Mike!  Good luck!

thanks Gerky.. special thanks to you for all your suggestions...

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Cool  - you should check Badass out and see what else can be brought to the table.

CD

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Cool  - you should check Badass out and see what else can be brought to the table.

CD

I couldn't find a very good technical description of what it does, but it looks like an EQ / distortion type effect with a ring modulator thrown in. When you distort (clip) something, you automatically create a lot of harmonics (but not sub-harmonics, which are defined as harmonics below the fundamental). A ring modulator is basically the multiplication of two signals, your instrument and a carrier, from which you get sum and difference frequencies of the source and carrier. The problem with Ring Modulation is that it suffers from a lot of artifacts and something called inter-modulation distortion, which are harmonics not related to the fundamental, aliasing is also a sometimes a problem. A better way (without using a carrier) to generate sub-harmonics is to half wave rectify the signal (which in itself creates harmonics) and then to start muting out say every other peak, which then effectively halves the frequency and creates harmonically related sub-harmonics to the fundamental. With a bit of filtering to eliminate the unwanted harmonics, it's possible to get a better quality enhanced bass if you mix this with the original signal. The trick will be to get as good a quality sub-harmonic generated, substantiated by mathematical models. There are as good as no papers on this.

Another thing I was also working on was to develop a pinch harmnic generator, which involves calculating the fundamental in a windowed sample and applying it to a bank of high Q bandpass filters, where only the desired harmonic(s) are let through.. worked quite well but only offline... developed it in MATLAB and used guitar samples to test it.

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Why can't you just make a vst that turns the "suck" down on my mixes and cranks the "stellar"! ^-^

You lost me at "I couldn't..". ;D
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Why can't you just make a vst that turns the "suck" down on my mixes and cranks the "stellar"! ^-^

You lost me at "I couldn't..". ;D

;D if I knew how to make one of those I'd be using it on my mixes  ;D

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Yaeah that'd be good to have in the toolbag  ;D

CD