Musicians Collaboration Studio

Dream Catcher (HDA/r4m/Eric/Argle/Andy)

AndyG6508 · 42 · 15309

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Hi MCS,

Here's another tune thats come out of a very enjoyable collab with HDA(Jay) and Bill (r4m).

The lyric was inspired during a visit to a First Nation's village where I was introduced to the magical concept of a "Dream Catcher". A dream catcher is a charm made out of feather and beads, which according to Indian folklore, keeps evil spirits and dreams away while letting all the good ones in. Wikipedia: The Ojibwa believe that a dreamcatcher changes a person's dreams. According to Terri J. Andrews, "Only good dreams would be allowed to filter through . . . Bad dreams would stay in the net, disappearing with the light of day."Good dreams would pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper.

I went away with this idea and wrote the lyrics and a basic melody, but the old demo of mine just lay around for ages, till HDA (Jay) came and liberated it!!

I cant thank Jay enough for his contributions...he arranged/produced the song, played keys, and sang the lovely lead and backing vocals. Then Bill (r4m) laid down some atmospheric guitar parts with the showpiece being his achingly beautiful solo.
Eric (offsite) played an immaculate drum track, I put down some bass, and finally Argle knitted the sound together in his own inimitable way.

Jay and I have been talking about doing a collab for a while, and I am glad that our first effort together turned out to a very enjoyable experience...and hopefully you will enjoy listening to the track as much as we enjoyed making it!!

Cheers
Andy

Personnel:

Jay Lamothe (HDA)  : Arrangement & pre-production, part lyrics, Lead & backing Vocals, all Keyboards.
Bill Gifford (r4m)     : Acoustic and Electric guitars, including solo.
Eric Koskas             : Drums
Andy Gupta             : Lyrics & music, Bass
Adam Kirby (Argle)  : Final mixing/production

Dream Catcher (c) 2009, lyrics & music: Andy Gupta/Jay Lamothe

Intro:
Slip in to the world now
Between half sleep and awake
Through the hallways that surround
Doors open invite

A loving angel comes through
Smiling takes your hand        
To a place where lines diverge              
As you're sinking deep in sleep

Verse:
Through the tunnels of dark and light
With colours wrapped all around
Patchwork quilt of seams
On a rainbow full of dreams

Visions that flit and resolve              
On the sight-screens of your eyes
Savour all of the sounds
As voices blending harmonize

Chorus:
Dream a dream catcher's dream
As it slips in between
Just let it flow in and slip away
It will come again

Guitar Solo

Verse:
Be the keeper of the dream
As long as it can
Dreams that you receive
From the dream catcher's sieve

A loving angel comes through
Smiling takes your hand        
To a place where lines diverge              
As you sinking deep in sleep

Chorus and Coda:
Dream a dream catcher's dream
As it slips in between
Just let it flow in and slip away
It will come again
It will slip away
It will come again
It will slip away
It will come again......

Edit: Ape version attached 15-10-09.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:19:06 AM by AndyG6508 »

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Very nice song!  :) Good job everyone!

Hey Tricia,

Thank you for the listen and the kind comment!

Cheers
Andy

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Hey Andy!!

You again sir have proven yourself as a formidable song writer.

I really fell in love with the whole atmosphere of this song right off the bat.  My very first run through ended up being the final form and foundation which means ...this was a perfect fit for me musically.   

Just when I thought we couldn't fit one more ounce of melody in there,.. your bass line sent this soaring.

Bill definitely wove a whole new dimension to this with is melodic guitar shapes.  Just perfect Bill as I knew it would be,... (and,..I am not giving up on the hand just yet!!) ;) ^-^

Andy,.. please tell Eric thanks for a drum track that sat just right in the groove and feel of this song.  Hopefully we can call on him again someday.

Adam,.. what can I say.... here is just another reason why your name is on so many mixes here.  You have the ears man!! ;) :)

Completely looking forward to the next collab Andy.  Thanks for the invite and the faith. :) :) ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:16:09 PM by HDA »
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline PVD

• Super Hero
Everyone:

Very good listen, enjoyed it.  I was familar with dream catchers concept, this is well done.

Paul

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Thank you so much, Jay, you are the man on this one, there aren't enough superlatives to describe what you did for the song!!

Totally look forward to the next one!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Everyone:

Very good listen, enjoyed it.  I was familar with dream catchers concept, this is well done.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks, coming from an accomplished lyricist like yourself, I take that as a huge compliment.

I am really enjoying working on your "Sound of Wings" - awesome write!

Cheers
Andy

Offline docca3

• You Tube
Wonderful song ... such lovely shapes to wash over you as you listen - lovely balance to it all. This is going in the playlist ASAP :D

Great job by all :)
I play all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order - Eric Morcambe

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Wonderful song ... such lovely shapes to wash over you as you listen - lovely balance to it all. This is going in the playlist ASAP :D

Great job by all :)

Hey Andy,

Thanks, really appreciate the kind comments. Glad you liked the structure - the guys blew me away with their contributions!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Andy... what a truly beautiful song... I don't know where you've got all these songs hidden but one by one they're coming out and each one is gem. Jay, great vocal and arrangement, top notch and Bill's classy guitar work makes the whole thing a treat to listen to. Kudos to Eric the drummer and of course Argles wonderful mixing skills which brought out the very best of this song...

Very very cool indeed
Mike
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:04:34 PM by snowdoguk »
"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" Neil Peart

My dad.. "Turn that Banjo down!!"

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Love this song.  Thanks for bringing me onboard.

Argie,

Thank you for lending your mixing talents to this one. You've pulled it off yet again, you've made this song shine.

I really love the relaxed mid-70s production feel to the song, kind of reminds me of Gary Wright's music!

Cheers
Andy

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Andy... what a truly beautiful song... I don't know where you've got all these songs hidden but one by one they're coming out and each one is gem. Jay, great vocal and arrangement, top notch and Bill's classy guitar work makes the whole thing a treat to listen to. Kudos to Eric the drummer.

Very very cool indeed
Mike

Hi Mike,

Praise from you is highly valued, thank you for the appreciative listen!!

All the guys on board (Jay, Bill, Eric and Argie) took this song to a plane beyond anything I could have managed on my own, with their performances and production talents!!

I will pass on your kind comments to Eric.

Thanks and cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:00:57 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Great song... Top Notch all the way.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes