Musicians Collaboration Studio

The Cats Away

Guest · 19 · 4713

Vincent

The Cats Away

Its a decent little tune however we didnt have drum seps and the tracks didnt really blend sonically however instead of redoing we decided just to mix what we had and maybe do a better version later on...Not the greatest mix.

Vincent (writer,composer,Mix)
Tricia (Co writer,Vocals,Lyrics,vocal Melody)
Paulo (keyboard)
Canuck (Bass)
Jwoo    (Drums)

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
The Cat's Away
Tricia Dovidio (c)2009

hey..the weatherman says
cold tonight
ooh but I know better
gonna be alright
I can already
feel the heat
and when you get here
 aaaw ....sweet

you told  me
to get ready
you're coming down
you want me
you need me
I'll be around

Been waiting
seems a lifetime
though it's only a week
the tension's
been rising
almost to its peak

absence makes the heart go crazy
and makes the body ache
there will be no mice playin
while the cat's away

prettying up
dressing down
a couple hours to wait
I know you're anxious
you'll be racing
you don't wanna be late

when you show up
and take what's yours
gonna feel brand new
no worries
no need to plan
what we're gonna do

and makes the body ache
while the cat's away

and makes the body ache
while the cat's away

you told  me
to get ready
you're coming down
you want me
you need me
I'll be around

and makes the body ache
while the cat's away

and makes the body ache
while the cat's away

and when you get here
 aaaw ....sweet!

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Oh yeh... This one finaly saw the light of day... I like it  :)
Another alternative mix is here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:27:48 PM by Paulo »
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
It's a good little song, but there's issues with the recording /mix and nobody's done a mix I am able listen too very much....and that includes myself  8)  There's a grating harshness to it that's hard to get rid of.  :(

Usually if a song is unmixable it's something to do with recording and arrangement.

But Congrats for plugging away , each finished song is a learning curve and a stepping stone to the next song.

Onto the next one !

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
It's a good little song, but there's issues with the recording /mix and nobody's done a mix I am able listen too very much....and that includes myself  8)  There's a grating harshness to it that's hard to get rid of.  :(

Usually if a song is unmixable it's something to do with recording and arrangement.

But Congrats for plugging away , each finished song is a learning curve and a stepping stone to the next song.

Onto the next one !

CD

Yep, my sentiments exactly..great little song, just some things didn't "click" with it...can't expect 100% of collabs to work 100% of the time, learn for the mistakes of the previous one and move on! :)
Take care!
Marc

Offline detune

• Mark
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Parts of the vocal seem too loud in both mixes.  The guitar distortion is a little harsh but I think it's fine.  I like the energy.  Cool song. 8)

Vincent

Im disapointed with final result of this song however im fine with it...Marc (Canuck) mentioned in the collab thread that without drum seps its near impossible to mix a song like this properly.

Having the foundation like bass and drums mixed right is key i think...I could of always redid guitars (and did a few times on my own) but it all came down to the drum track...I couldnt get the mix to sound right without drum seps...Thats why i wanted to redo the song however it didnt seem like anyone wanted to redo it so I just gave up...Im kind of sick of the song now anyway...If it was up to me I wouldnt of even posted this in finished...I would of deleted it and fed the recycling bin... ;D

In fact if nobody objects i would like to PM Nick and get him to erase this thread...thats how I feel about this song at this point in time.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:39:31 PM by Vincent »

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
I dont't think this sounds so bad... I like to live with what I got and I'm truly thankfull with every tune that reaches the end... Me likes playing some tracks and see 'em reach the end...

Other than that, I'm ugly, out of fashion, and I won't be famous anymore, I'm outdated  ;D
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I think your being too harsh on the song Vincent. On my end it actually sounds pretty good. The song itself is rocking!! The mix is a bit harsh but it's the mix not the song. The song is great!!  8) Even without Johns seps you should have a great sound. I've used John's mix downs before with no problems. He gets a really good sound from the get go. The trick is to leave the drums alone. Don't add to much compression etc and work the mix around the drums. The guitars need to be warmer. Maybe a bit of doubling on the vocals etc.

Everything sounds distant and in the back. Again I think it's because you may have overworked the drums. The guitars sound too thin to me.

Great tune bro. Just back to the mixing board. PS... This is harsh criticism. To the mainstream ears they would find it perfect. That's what we're here for. To get em better!!  ??? 

Dave

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
Yes! I think you are right Dave and Paulo.  8)

I'm so glad I saved all the various mixes of this song, just in case it gets deleted. lol ;)

I love this song, and I know I'm not good at hearing mixes right. I don't really care.  :)

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
As well, depends on what you read and what you're looking for (ie.an indie album,or a submission to a label, or to sell to a publishing company)...have read some labels or publishers hate overly produced "perfect" sounding songs, and a real proffesional easily sees through any production  as they are listening to the song or talent involved, not the amount of money spent recording it..or FIXING it. Some of the best rock songs ever, were recorded poorley and sound like crap (technical wise..and there are audible mistakes in the playing/singing as well) but still very poplular (and have made millions) just because they are great songs and performances, mistakes and all. If the Stones were as picky as we are here, to be honest, they'd be on their 3rd album now still living at their mums houses and driving a bus during the day to help pay the bills! ;D ;D
Marc

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
still living at their mums houses and driving a bus during the day to help pay the bills! ;D ;D
Marc

Don't they still do that ?

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
still living at their mums houses and driving a bus during the day to help pay the bills! ;D ;D
Marc

Don't they still do that ?

CD

Ron Wood probably is, now that his wife won't take him back (and she's keeping the house) and Mick's going to give him the boot after the strangling incident with that little Russian gold digger, but then again,looking at him, his mum must be about 125 years old at least..they live that long there yet Mark? ;D ;D ;D