Musicians Collaboration Studio

No More Runnin' Scared

Offline CurtisDowney66

Well, as always I apreciate all the help I can get on my mixes, it's mostly the mastering part I struggle with sometimes.  I am working on a CD project, actually a couple of them, one that is more of a country type thing, and one that will include this song.  I have 6 songs completed that will go with this song already, I have been fiddling with all the unmastered mixes, trying to come up with a "uniform" balance from song to song.  Kinda tricky, but I think I am finally having some breakthroughs, with much trial and error.  This mix, as other mixes I do will certainly sound a bit different once they are put in with the other songs, so as to keep the same general tone.  So, no mix I do is set in stone, until it is printed ;).
Curtis

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website

I was not mad....just giving a little back in jest about the radio!  ;D

I know Nick. Sure didn't take it that way.  ;D You get use to hearing the song a certain way and as things get tweaked more and more the changes become quite noticable. You guys including Curtis manage to master the tracks way better than I ever could. That's an area I have a LOT to learn about. It's really cool when we actually speak up about our mixes rather than just say something like "that's great". It's through feedback that we can learn. On that note Curtis, the more I listen the 2nd does tone down some of the heavy bass and add some more clarity which may be good but in the end do as you feel. I think it's a good song no matter what. This is just the fine details.

Hey Nick, If ya have nothing better to do  ::) it would be cool to hear a 'quick' Har-Bal master just to see how you feel it should sound. It would be a good learning comparison.  >:D

Offline CurtisDowney66

Here is the current master I am working on.  It changed some, because I was trying to find a balance from song to song on the CD I am working on.  I think this mix is somewhere in between the other 2.
Curtis
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:07:37 PM by NickT »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Wow. What a big difference again. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Curtis, go with the final master that fits your album. Your last one is even brighter. Less on the lows. I think I still like the first #3 that you posted. The only thing that I would do is eq some more of the low end out but I really like how that sounds on my setup. I also have a bunch of songs that I'd like to put together as an album. A mix of different songs. So when it comes time to putting that together I will have to try to equalize them all so there's some consistency. I think in the end it's a matter of choice. This is pretty cool to see the different takes on how it should sound in the end. It's the same with professional studio's. The master is different depending on the studio. There is that perfect balance. Some people have the ears for it and they get paid the big bucks as well. For me any of these final takes is amazing enough. Not bad for home recording.  8)

Dave

Offline CurtisDowney66

Yeh, I agree, there are many ways to do it depending on taste, and how it fits in with other songs.  It is always interesting to try different EQ's just to see the difference.  I am done with it for now, but now there are 3 masters to choose from.  And yeh, home recording is great ain't it 8)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Curtis,

I moved RunningScared4.mp3 to your 1st post so all three masters are there.

Dave- I cleaned up the Runnin' Scared thread in Studio A. I left one mix with the thread. That's is what I like to do. Remove all auditions and temp mixes and leave one good mix for someone to listen to while they read the thread.

Thanks guys. You all did a great job on this collab!

NickT
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:15:48 PM by NickT »
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
 :-[

Sorry Dave....where did you see Steve? I don't see Steve.  ::)

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline r4m

• Super Hero
Cool tune! Good performances by all! ;) Nice job on vox Curtis!