Musicians Collaboration Studio

Our own FTP space?

Argle · 13 · 6889

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
I've noticed that a lot of people use filesharing sites like 4shared.com, which is pretty crappy (jumping thru a bunch of hoops sucks).  I was thinking it would be a cool idea if an FTP spot was set aside on the server that any member could log into and upload/download project files.  Would be useful for really big files, like a zip of project seps.

Dumb idea?

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Wasn't the idea that we could actually post them on thread.  Unfortunately it seems not to work for some folks  , me included - the website always times out on big files.  I too hate 4shared and have settled on Yousendit.  you can download their software so you can just right click and send a file from the desktop.  It's free and lasts for 7 days. I just send it to myself and then post the link that it emails back to you.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Expanding the file size for posts would be ok too!!!

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I didn't know people were having problems on the new server.

I have not had one timeout issue since we switched.

65 mb is pretty big. Do we need bigger?

Let me know what bad experiences you are having.

Thanks,  Nick
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:18:50 PM by NickT »
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I haven't tried in a while but I'm sure I tried since the upgrade.  Next time I have a master ape I'll try again.

65mb is enough normally if you'ved aped a 24bit wave file but I guess if you haven't there are songs I've ended up with bigger files for.

CD

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio

Thanks,  Nick

Well, being able to post an entire zip'd collection of track seps (couple hundred mb) would certainly be nice.  >:D  Sometimes the individual tracks are scattered and not even posted on this site.  Would be very convenient for mixing people to grab a single file rather than hunt around for 20-30 files.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi

Thanks,  Nick

Well, being able to post an entire zip'd collection of track seps (couple hundred mb) would certainly be nice.  >:D  Sometimes the individual tracks are scattered and not even posted on this site.  Would be very convenient for mixing people to grab a single file rather than hunt around for 20-30 files.

Oh yeah , I often end up pickin' the sweetcorn out of a thread  ;D

CD

Offline nitch

I haven't had any issues with uploading files to the this site.
I'm starting to get in the habit of uploading to forshared.com for two reasons.

1. Once the project is complete I will have all of my seps stored on their server and not on my hard drive
2. I'd like to think that I'm helping out the site by not cluttering it with files.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I haven't had any issues with uploading files to the this site.
I'm starting to get in the habit of uploading to forshared.com for two reasons.

1. Once the project is complete I will have all of my seps stored on their server and not on my hard drive
2. I'd like to think that I'm helping out the site by not cluttering it with files.

I agree with Adam it's a PITA to get things from for mixing  ;D

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I haven't seen any timeouts on the new server at all, no stranded files as of yet.  At some point I will work out better file management with the projects, possibly so that the "project manager" (i.e. thread starter) can remove files as required, so if they people managing the project stay on top of things and remove old tracks then it will be better for everyone involved.  I'd also like to incorporate a proper uploader app that show progress, etc.  When we do that I think it would be fine to increase the file size limits to a pretty big size.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about if we increase the file size limit right now is the amount of old/stranded files that remain on the server ... I hate to go through and nuke old files as you never know what's needed and what's not needed.

At some point in the reasonably near future this will get addressed.  As for actual FTP accounts I don't think we'll go this way with things, it makes things overly complicated on the hosting end of things.

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
I haven't seen any timeouts on the new server at all, no stranded files as of yet.  At some point I will work out better file management with the projects, possibly so that the "project manager" (i.e. thread starter) can remove files as required, so if they people managing the project stay on top of things and remove old tracks then it will be better for everyone involved.  I'd also like to incorporate a proper uploader app that show progress, etc.  When we do that I think it would be fine to increase the file size limits to a pretty big size.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about if we increase the file size limit right now is the amount of old/stranded files that remain on the server ... I hate to go through and nuke old files as you never know what's needed and what's not needed.

At some point in the reasonably near future this will get addressed.  As for actual FTP accounts I don't think we'll go this way with things, it makes things overly complicated on the hosting end of things.

Anythign you do is much appreciated.  Ya being able to put a large zip collection would be of immense help to mixers.  The project leader can upload it since they likely have all the files anyway, and the mixer can grab it.  I understand about old files.... is there an way to set them to automatically delete after a certain time?

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Deleting after a certain time is doable, but a bit scary too .. some projects take longer than others, other things we may want to archive indefinitely, etc.  Too many "rules" would have to be in place to ensure that we don't lose important data.  It's always a juggling match!  We'll probably have to rely on users doing the file management for themselves mostly, with the possibility of a bit of "nag" type PM's or something when there are some aging things that you are responsible for.

Ideally file management will come out of the forums directly (they are 100% in the forums right now) and move into the collaboration module, then we will have better control over things.

Offline j

• Super Hero
I have an idea, not sure that this is doable.. but could be helpful in controlling the amount of storage we use. I know that I'm a big offender, and honestly want to do what I can to help here.. but it isn't very often that I think of deleting old project files.

Is it possible to tag a project originators email address and automate an email, say, one year after a project has been posted. A link could be sent to the project files allowing the poster to quickly clear out his old files. just a thought.

Otherwise, I have found the site to work well as is. 65MB has never been a limitation when compressing to ape. If someone really requires more than you offer for free, maybe they can purchase their own account from 1and1 ( $5 bucks a month guys) - through your affiliate link, of course  ;)
wazzzzzaaaap