Musicians Collaboration Studio

DIY Done Right

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Any of you studio geeks out there need to check this post out.   The guy who posted this is a songwriter down in Florida who decided to build his own studio, with absolutely no experience.   He started off just by drawing up a room and throwing it out there on gearslutz to see what people thought before he started.   After getting bashed a little, a colleague of mine found the post and offered his services as a acoustical and room designer and really saved the day (check out his responses, he REALLY knows his field) Soon after they got started I got hired as the tech consultant, and it's been one of the most fun projects I've ever been involved in.   

This guy (Chris) had never done construction, never framed a wall, had never done hardwood floors, never constructed acoustical panels, had never soldered...etc.    This guy just took some drawings and direction from us and has REALLY made a great studio.   He's in the wiring stage now, but construction is done.   Pretty amazing that anyone has this kind of "get it done" mentality and can really produce results.    Check it out!  Makes me want to bust out some tools and finally construct my own proper studio.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-recording-studio-construction-projects/460533-birth-my-studio-so-speak.html

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yep. That little studio looks great. I wish I had something like that. Turned out pretty nice and he well documented all the stages of construction. Cool !!  8)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
You might be needing to borrow some of those ideas Dave  8)

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Funny, just saw this post after posting about the 824's in the other forum.   Yeah, the guy that showed up and got the contract to re-design his room when he posted something like "STOP CONSTRUCTION NOW" is the guy I recommended for you in the speaker post.   He's very affordable and really, really knows his craft.   He always works remotely based on some basic acoustical measurements, pics and room dimensions, and the user's ears.   He also got me the gig for all the technical design and on-site training, which was a blast because that turned out to be one of the coolest clients I've ever worked with.   He really just did whatever it took to make it right and in the end it made all the difference.   

In the case of the project in the link, Jeff actually changed the construction methods of walls, doors, flooring, framing based on the acoustical needs of the room.   If you're actually going to take the time and money to build/rebuild or simply add treatments to and existing room then there is no reason to not take the extra step to make sure all of your efforts are serving the intended purpose of making a better sounding/functioning recording space.   

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I think if I ever get the time and the money I would like to build a studio from scratch. We'll see how it goes in the coming years. If the economy gets better then life will be better.  :)

Dave