Musicians Collaboration Studio

Codeweavers now has a beta CrossOver Mac

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/

I've used CW's crossover office for a while and it rocks!. With cxoffice I was able to live in the corporate world and run M$ apps on my linux box (when I had to). So for some of you Mac people that want to run som Windoze stuff this might be wort a try.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
Thankx  I'll check it out.
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline BassPlayer

FYI, I've been running this on my wifes macbook and it's handled everything I've thrown at it except for some idiot who wrote an entire app using m$ access and even then it's the programmers fault. Just say no to wondoze programs but if you have to crossover rocks

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Good info BP, I'll have to give it a shot, but I must say right now I'm pretty hooked on the latest Paralells release with the windows "Coherence" approach :)  The only intel based Mac I have right now is my Mac Mini (hooked up toentertainement center) ... so I don't use it all that much for this type of stuff ... sadly it is booted into windows 90% or more of the time as it's my IE test machine!

Mark

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline BassPlayer

She hates it. Firefox keeps crashing and sometimes hangs.  It then refuses to let her edit the location bar.
Adium and Open Office have been working good.  The wireless config is brain dead if you actually want to set a profile. Unless your in auto mode it will forget your network password. =/ I mail sucks if you need to use non standard ports to send mail on. It kept closing port 26. I was outta the dog house when I switched her to Thunderbird. 

Hey you asked. :D  I'd probably use it for my music system if I was not on the Cakewalk upgrade drug.

Since the Crossover Mac is wine you would not need to boot into winblows. That the whole reason I bought the Codeweavers product was because it does not require a license to run IE or a Winblows and you dont have to boot a VM.

Just a thought.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Try grabbing a free utility called Onyx and run it ... it clears caches, fixes preferences, etc.  Sounds like the FF problem will be solved by this, it's probably some funky cache or a bad prefs file.

For the network configs use location manager.  The trick is that you have to make a new location and _then_ go and do the network configs.  I have 15 different configs and none of them forget my passwords ;)

I also don't have problems with Mail ... did you setup a "server" with the port options?  I don't use any standard ports on my setup! :)

Mark

She hates it. Firefox keeps crashing and sometimes hangs.  It then refuses to let her edit the location bar.
Adium and Open Office have been working good.  The wireless config is brain dead if you actually want to set a profile. Unless your in auto mode it will forget your network password. =/ I mail sucks if you need to use non standard ports to send mail on. It kept closing port 26. I was outta the dog house when I switched her to Thunderbird. 

Hey you asked. :D  I'd probably use it for my music system if I was not on the Cakewalk upgrade drug.

Since the Crossover Mac is wine you would not need to boot into winblows. That the whole reason I bought the Codeweavers product was because it does not require a license to run IE or a Winblows and you dont have to boot a VM.

Just a thought.

Offline BassPlayer

Once TB started working I did not investigate any further. Remembering back now I think my hosting provider requires port 26 and SSL . It seemed that I would get it working and tested but then later she would come to me and ay she could not send.

On the profixe I was talking about using non auto mode and defining a wireless profile. If your not in auto mode and reboot when the profile is used to get the password somehow it does not work. Theres a know bug on it on the apple site that someone showed me I can remember what the id was.

I will try the location thing and onyx. Thanks for the tips.