Musicians Collaboration Studio

Vocal setups

Offline Mr. Mom

• Super Hero
    • My music-player
I'm definitely in a clique, it consists of anyone who will have me. ;D

I think part of what makes it hard is when you put time into a collab and your part is not used. I don't mind this myself because I only write lyrics, so in the end I still come out ahead because I have more material for another song somewhere down the road.

I'm sure that's not always the case with musicians because you're coming up with something to match the feel and tempo of a certain song, and then if your part isn't used in a song it's probably hard to salvage any of that work without sounding similar to the collab you tried out for.
That's probably a big reason also to gravitate towards cliques, even though the intention is never to shut out others, it's really more about being comfortable with each other and knowing who has thick or thin skin and whether the person will start a collab then disappear, etc.

It's a shame to see people leave here, especially when you're left guessing as to what was the final straw that made them leave. I know if someone joins up and isn't very patient, they might feel like they are being ignored if they don't understand the whole process. I swear it took 6 months for my 1st collab to hit the finished forum, which actually is pretty good time when you think about it, but if all you have is ONE project and you see song after song being finished ahead of your own - it probably does get to feeling like you're out of the clique.
Of course, anyone who hangs around long enough realizes that every song has it's own speed and really depends on creativity and how much "real life" interferes with projects. Seems we've all had 4,5,6 month dry spells and then suddenly we put out 4 or 5 songs in weeks(even though they may have sat for more than a year).

I need to stop talking, now I'm just rambling. :D
Damn it Jim! I'm a WRITER - not a Doctor!!

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
Any cliques here are not unlike any other social environment.  We gravitate to like minded individuals.  This extends to musical taste, skill level, creativity, drive, and attitude.  It's not a bad thing and completely natural.  Because most of us consider this forum a hobby, stress release, creative outlet,.. I think that we focus on projects that we will get the most joy from.

I miss spending more time here,.. again,. the career is stifling my creative juices and free time.  I will be back I'm sure as will some others.  Hell,.. been waiting for Dave to get off the bleachers for over a year and look at him go now! lol

I would really like to see more new faces too but its all good.

P.S.  I really ,.. Really like this forum and the people in it.  We are like a family in a sense,.. without the drama (for the most part) ;D.  Keep it up guys. ;)
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
P.S.  I really ,.. Really like this forum and the people in it.  We are like a family in a sense,.. without the drama (for the most part) ;D.  Keep it up guys. ;)

Amen  ;)
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I just don't have the time these days ... this winter I am going to make the time as I really need to do some creative stuff that doesn't involve typing on my keyboard all day and all night.  That said I'm also torn because when I do get some time I want to improve the tools here for everyone to use ... but it's a real torn in multiple directions on that one because I really need to unplug from coding all the time, but I want better tools to play with LOL.  Dilemma!!

It's always going to be up and down as real life gets in the way with things.  I also used to do tons of stuff on here and like Nick I honestly don't know where all that time came from ... these days there are not enough hours in the day.  I need less hobbies!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I just don't have the time these days ... this winter I am going to make the time as I really need to do some creative stuff that doesn't involve typing on my keyboard all day and all night.  That said I'm also torn because when I do get some time I want to improve the tools here for everyone to use ... but it's a real torn in multiple directions on that one because I really need to unplug from coding all the time, but I want better tools to play with LOL.  Dilemma!!

It's always going to be up and down as real life gets in the way with things.  I also used to do tons of stuff on here and like Nick I honestly don't know where all that time came from ... these days there are not enough hours in the day.  I need less hobbies!

Maybe clone yourself Bro...Rise of the Code Monkeys  8)

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA

Personally,.. I would prefer to see bass monkey more than code monkey in here. ;)  The site works well.  The only thing I would like to see is a streaming player (radio) like IMW has that shuffles and streams songs from the Finished thread.  Get that rolling you lazy ass bastard! >:D ;D

I love how this thread suddenly has F' all to do with vocal setups! ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:48:03 PM by HDA »
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
I was going to say the same thing. The site here works really well. We don't need anything different. It's straight forward and works super well. As Jay mentioned the only thing I'd like to see is some kind of player with the finished songs or maybe an outside webpage that has all the finished music. Gotta play once in awhile too bro. All work and no play makes for a grumpy code-monkey.  ;D

Offline Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
The thread will morph back again though to vocal setups!! >:D >:D

Offline Errol

• Super Hero
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/errolchugg
I was going to say the same thing. The site here works really well. We don't need anything different. It's straight forward and works super well. As Jay mentioned the only thing I'd like to see is some kind of player with the finished songs or maybe an outside webpage that has all the finished music. Gotta play once in awhile too bro. All work and no play makes for a grumpy code-monkey.  ;D

I wonder whether we should have some sort of FaceBook page which might be a good place to post finished songs and perhaps attract new people.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
The only problem with posting songs on facebook is that you are basically giving them rights to do whatever they want with it... their terms of service are atrocious.  I don't even post many pictures there any more since they started using them in advertisements :(  Their argument was that those ads only show up for people that are already able to see my pictures ... while some people might not have a problem with this type of approach I do personally.

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/

Amen  ;)

Amen!! :)

@Vocalsetup:Dave, I used to sing all my life, started on leadvocals then more bu-vocals bc we had great leadsinger in the band. In 2010 I started taking lessons for a year or so, just to reach a level that makes melodyne or alikes unnecessary while posting a draft of my ideas ;D. The lack of singers here or their lack of time (take Pleasure or Jay!) forced me to try to sing "better" for my songs. My teachers says: Everybody can
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:09:20 AM by docmidnite »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi

The lack of singers here or their lack of time (take Pleasure or Jay!) forced me to try to sing "better" for my songs. My teachers says: Everybody can sing!!! My first real big step was: Accepting the sound of my voice!!! I still feel pretty unconfortable hearing it ( and I still need heavy doses of Auto-Tune :-[ as well) In short: Dave, just do it!!!

Lol, I feel the same as about my own singing Doc. It's ALOT better than when I made my first recording 20 years ago. Not sure how much better lessons would make me ?

What type of things did you learn....I feel with my own voice it will still have the same 'tone' no matter how in tune I get.. I wish I could have a few free lessons to see if it helps before spending money  :o

CD

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/

What type of things did you learn....I feel with my own voice it will still have the same 'tone' no matter how in tune I get.. I wish I could have a few free lessons to see if it helps before spending money  :o

you WANT ^-^ Later you learn how to get and hold a natural vibrato... but before that I had to stop bc in lack of time :'( :'( :'(
I attached an example ( made pretty fast, its more obvious when you are "warm")

Go and google... you find some lessons tips and tricks all over the web!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:47:57 AM by docmidnite »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Breathing..I'm not good at the breathing  ::)

My wife says I add vibrato to the final word of every line. I don't mean to do it but she says she doesn't like it  ;D

Will have a listen to the clip.

CD

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I listened. Sinple stuff.

Did you learn to use different types of your voice ? My friend who makes his living performing tried to explain about singing from different voices..diaphragm , chest, head etc.

Maybe I can get a vocal exercise disc for the car and do it while I drive between appointments

CD