Musicians Collaboration Studio

Pro Tools

Mimmo · 13 · 7230

Offline Mimmo

• Super Hero
Do any of you guys here use Pro Tools Recording Studio by M-Audio?
Just wondering if I need to install the USB audio Interface that comes with it, or can I use the recording program without it?

Thanks for the help
Mimmo
Mimmo
Love songs...and more

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I think it needs to detect the M-audio interface or it won't run.  I don't run ProTools personally but know a lot of people that do.

Offline Mimmo

• Super Hero
Thanks...I just got an anwser from M-audio, it does need the interfase to run.
But the sales person insisted I didn't have to use it.
Thanks |
mimmo
Mimmo
Love songs...and more

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
It depends ... Pro Tools 9 can now run standalone or with any interface/card. Previous versions did not.

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline nitch

I'm running protools 9, it works with almost any third party audioface.  Im using it with an m audio 8rack, prior to that a persons firepod.  Protools is awesome definitely worth the money.

Offline Mimmo

• Super Hero
Thanks guys, for your input.
I'm sure it will help me make a decision
Mimmo
Love songs...and more

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
I'm running protools 9, it works with almost any third party audioface.  Im using it with an m audio 8rack, prior to that a persons firepod.  Protools is awesome definitely worth the money.

That's great, Nitch. I'm glad it's working out for you. Only thing I will say about Pro Tools is that anything associated with it usually has a hefty price tag. Guess that's what comes of it being the "industry standard". Right now Sonar 8.5.3 Producer is rock solid for me, but when it comes to a future upgrade I will probably go with Pro Tools too.

Mick.

Offline Smurf

• The Home Production Studio (2011)
I heard that the new PT 9 has finally added ADC nativity, but it is only good to like 4000 samples & then your back to having to adjust latency manually again....is this true?
I am a drummer handicapped by location. I use loops, program and play parts in on the keyboard or pads. My bottom line is to have FUN, the reason I got into it in the first place!!

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

I'm not a believer that it's worth the money.  Might just be me but there are a LOT of other options out there these days that are either on par our outperform it for similar money.  I wouldn't go back to Pro Tools, ever.  Just too painful in the higher end area money wise, support is terrible, and now that they've also partnered up with M-audio it leaves an even worse taste in my mouth (I detest M-audio).  I guess I'm just old and bitter ;)

I'll stick with my MOTU hardware and software any day.  Pro Tools (high end) quality for a fraction of the price ;)

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero

I'm not a believer that it's worth the money.  Might just be me but there are a LOT of other options out there these days that are either on par our outperform it for similar money.  I wouldn't go back to Pro Tools, ever.  Just too painful in the higher end area money wise, support is terrible, and now that they've also partnered up with M-audio it leaves an even worse taste in my mouth (I detest M-audio).  I guess I'm just old and bitter ;)

I'll stick with my MOTU hardware and software any day.  Pro Tools (high end) quality for a fraction of the price ;)

I agree with most of what you say, Gerk, but the point about V9 is that you can now use any hardware, not just M-Audio. But even so, I have heard that you would also need an expansion pack to make V9 on a par with most other DAW software and that it costs over $1000. That makes anyone starting out having to pay in excess of $1500 ... I'll stick with what I have.

Mick.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
That's my whole point with Pro Tools, it's all about the money.  You want more?  You pay more.  It's always been their philosophy ... which worked ok back in the day before CPU's could run everything needed ... you added a card that offloaded all the processing and it cost big $$.  THese days they are selling their entry level DAW software, which is crippled compared to most other things, for the price of everyone else's full on DAW software.  They are riding on their name more than anything because "Pro Tools" was always synonymous with a real "pro" setup ... those days are coming to a grinding halt, but people are still fooled by the name.

Their software is honestly nothing that special, it works and it works well, but it's waaaaaay too much money for what you're getting.  At one point they were way ahead of the curve, but no more.  I refuse to "buy" into it :)

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
I dunno guys,.. I bought the most user friendly and cheapest DAW i could find.  It does more than I need and if I ever have any issues or questions (which rarely occur)  the developer personally replies to my inquiries usually within 24 hours (would probably be faster if he wasn't across the ocean).

I will plug this software anywhere and everywhere because it did exactly what I wanted from the start.  Plug in and record with very little learning curve.

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline Captain fantastic

I use Reaper,its sort of free,well you are meant to pay but they don't make you,its quite simple,excellent with guitars & you get top quality sounds...got to supply your own effects mind,but thats good,who wants ten million samples they are never going to use