Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording Guitar

Tacman7 · 53 · 23513

Offline Tacman7

I tried the dry guitar recording last night.

Worked pretty good really, I'll have to start using it.

It worked different than I thought though in practice.

All the routing is done in the computer. In the sequencer and the Interface control. So:

1.  I'm recording and not monitoring the dry guitar.
    the dry guitar is sent to the external FX which is routed back to the               computer. That's the sound I monitor while recording.

2. Playback is just the dry guitar wav file sent to the external FX which is routed back to the computer.

3. The difference between recording and playback is accomplished by pressing the monitor button on the audio channel that the dry guitar is recorded on. So no patching is required.

The attachment is a recording of the dry guitar, straight at first then run through some effects presets. Now just have to learn how to play it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:42:03 PM by Tacman7 »

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
That's pretty cool Tac.

It's nice to have the clean track so you can re-amp if the song calls for it.

What modeler are you  using?

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

That's an M-Audio Black Box.

I bought it because of the sync effects, it's an economical version of adrenalin,
but I was pretty happy with the modeling.

Being able to change the guitar effects at mixdown should be good.
Hard to  know what would sound good in the final mix when you start out.

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Being able to change the guitar effects at mixdown should be good.
Hard to  know what would sound good in the final mix when you start out.

It is good, I use it a bit.  Very hady indeed.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Isn't technology a wonderful thing. That's a pretty cool example Tac.  8) I don't quite get the diagram though. Forgive me but I'm sometimes kinda slow at understanding the technical side. Let me get this right.

First your going from the guitar to mixer with a compressor added. From there it goes into the soundcard? Then out from the soundcard to an effects box? Is there an out from the soundcard? And then from your effects box out to??? Headphones??

Forigive me.. duh??  ::)

Offline Tacman7

Ya no problem,

I forget what this card has 6 in or 8 out I think, so I have the I/O to route the signal where it's needed.

The Dry guitar is always going to the effects box. It's either coming from the live dry guitar(through the mixer then soundcard) or from the .wav file.

That's the switching that takes place, Live or recorded as the source for the effects box. So no patch cord changing. Had a few feedback loops till I got the routing right.

The output of the Effects box is routed back to the sound card to go out to headphones, monitors, or get recorded for a master or final guitar track.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Thanks. Makes more sense. I don't think I can do that with my sound card. Maybe. I'll have to look. This would be something worth playing around with.  8)

Offline Tacman7

I just dusted off an old effects box, a Lexicon LPX-5.

I bought it about a year or two ago for vocals but I wasn't impressed at the time.

I just hooked it up and tried it on guitar. Has some nice delay stuff. The pitch effects make a grinding rythem part really full and spread across the stereo image.

I'll have to post an example, really familiar sound.

Seen one on ebay that just sold for $41.