Musicians Collaboration Studio

New Audio PC..troubles & fixes

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Mick

Another glitch... >:(

See if you can work this one out....

I just converted a bunch of apes with the latest Monkeys audio for Nitch's song 'Just What I needed' that he asked me to mix and most of of them won't import into Sonar.

They look like they should be , but then at the end of the import no audio appears. It even imports the track name onto the Sonar track.  A few of them do work ( yours included ) and they all seem to be 24 bit....the others all seem to be 16bit.

I've tried changing the Global setting to make Sonar import them all as 24bit ...made no difference.

This is very frustrating.  On my old system with the same version of Sonar 8.5 ( 32bit ) I could import the ape files without conversion....on Windows 7 with Sonar 8.5 64bit I get a Directshow Error, so I figured I'd convert in Monkey's first...now I can't even get that to work !

CD

Whoa, thats a weird one. As we previously discussed, I use Monkeys to convert to wave, but I have never had a problem with no audio. I'm using Monkeys 4.10 -  that what you are using? Secondly, let me know what files and I'll check them out for you.

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Wait, I just remembered what it is! Nitch's tracks for some reason appear about 10 miles down the timeline, like bar 4800 or something crazy ... lol. Zoom out and scroll down the timeline and you will find them.

Mick.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Wait, I just remembered what it is! Nitch's tracks for some reason appear about 10 miles down the timeline, like bar 4800 or something crazy ... lol. Zoom out and scroll down the timeline and you will find them.

Mick.

Lol

You're right...most of them start a 1hr into the song ??? WTF??

Never had that before...I just went into the settings and switched off 'Always import broadcast wav's at their timestamp and they now import at my 'now' time.

Thanks Mick  :) 
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
You're right...most of them start a 1hr into the song ??? WTF??

Never had that before...I just went into the settings and switched off 'Always import broadcast wav's at their timestamp and they now import at my 'now' time.

Thanks Mick  :) 

Now I wish I had thought of that. First track took me a good 2 minutes to drag back to the start  :D

Mick.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Hmm..they don't line up now

Although they all start at ' Zero '

Your 2 minutes of dragging may be better than 2 hours of ' aligning '  :-\

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
This is where I insert the obligatory comment to CD about a Mac.  With most interfaces and setups you don't even need to install a single driver (thanks to Core Audio) ! >:D

Man, I forgot how much I hated that stuff until I just read through all your posts.  I don't think I could ever go back to windows for audio stuff again.  I remember my last windows box, running Nuendo 1.6, a pair of Yamaha DSP Factory cards and the dual ADAT interface for them ... I wouldn't let anyone even walk too close to it once I got it all setup and humming and it wasn't even allowed on the local network let alone the internet!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
This is where I insert the obligatory comment to CD about a Mac.  With most interfaces and setups you don't even need to install a single driver (thanks to Core Audio) ! >:D

Man, I forgot how much I hated that stuff until I just read through all your posts.  I don't think I could ever go back to windows for audio stuff again.  I remember my last windows box, running Nuendo 1.6, a pair of Yamaha DSP Factory cards and the dual ADAT interface for them ... I wouldn't let anyone even walk too close to it once I got it all setup and humming and it wasn't even allowed on the local network let alone the internet!

My wife loves her Imac but no Sonar = no Mac for me  ::)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
well I've reverted back to the 32bit version of sonar tonight. I was fed up of my favourite plugins not 'bridging ' properly.  seemed to get too many crashes but the main dealbreaker is that my liquid mix has a known issue.....does not work with sonar64  ::)

but seems fine with 32bit version on win7. plus sonar performs better because it's not trying to bridge loads of plugins too.

haven't had a crash yet,  fingers crossed

Offline BBDog

• BB Dog new website. Still under construction
Thanks both for posting this. It's stressed me out just reading it. Been through all that kind of crap loads of times. I have a Dell Latitude D510 (a bit old) running XP Home. It's the one I'm using to post this. I installed Cubase 5 on here & installed an Alesis card. It jittered so I gave up. I have better machines anyway, it would have been nice to have it running on this though.

What really tweaks my bud! (my brothers saying  ;D ) is it won't play anything off RevebNation or YouTube properly now the B*******d  >:(

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Yeah..gimme an 8 track  ;D

Offline BBDog

• BB Dog new website. Still under construction
Yeah..gimme an 8 track  ;D
Still have a Sony Sound on Sound somewhere  ;) Belonged to Kelly Groucutt (ELO) Has no Provenance though or it would be worth a fair bit, could do with the money too!

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Just thought I'd do an update

The only bad thing about this PC is that it sounds like a Jumbo Jet during take off due to the really noisy power supply.  It's pretty bad if you need to pile some compression onto a vocal as I have to record quite near the tower.  It seemed twice as loud as my old Dell used to record the previous album.   I usually had resorted to using a duvet to block out some of the sound.

Well the other night I ventured into the loft to try and find some spare Senheisser headphones I used to use for mixing to lend my son.  I'd stopped using them quite a few years back as they were very well suited to mixing being a bit bright and not enclosed. Nice for listening to his tablet in his bedroom though.....well I emptied almost every box and carton in that damned loft and couldn't find them but...I did find the Corsair whisper quiet large fanned 400w Psu that I bought a couple of years ago and never got around to fitting before we had to move house. I just put it in a box and forgot about it.  Also in the same box was an Asus 1gb Silent series Graphics card...and also 2 Auralex LENRDs

It was like Xmas all over again, I went downstairs and spent a happy hour ripping the PSU out of this machine, putting the new one in which was of a way higher build quality...I'd also been using the onboard graphics but was pretty sure the bios default was to auto detect if I fitted another, so in that went.

Plugged it all back in....crossed my fingers...first thing that struck me was the sound of silence...thought it wasn't working for a second but it was just that the PSU was so quiet the sound of the external HDD was louder  ;D

It booted up first time and worked right away...Even Sonar Behaved...first..time..ever  :o 

So I'm a happy bunny now, it just takes a bit of getting used to not having the background noise...like I notice the clock ticking or the boiler firing up  >:D

CD

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Nice job CD, having a quiet PC makes a big difference. I always use at least 120mm intake/exhaust fans as well, they run slow and quiet.

Mick.