Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording Vocals for the same track on separate occasions

nitch · 6 · 6110

Offline nitch

Here is a scenario:

Typically when I create new sessions it could take me months to complete the vocals.
I am running pro tools 9, I create a new mono audio track and I start recording.  My microphone is plugged into my MAudio Fast Track Ultra8r usb recording device.  Usually when I record vocals I set the sensitivity to have as much power as possible without clipping.  Once the track is recorded I will work on preliminary mixes to give me an idea as to how it sounds.  Usually the volume fader for the vocals will come down which is where it sits better in the mix.  I save the project and exit.
Weeks, sometimes months will pass, I will call up the session and continue to work on the vocals.  My microphone sensitivity may not be in the exact same spot as it was (because I've since worked on another project and make adjustments to the sensitivity) OR, if the volume fader is lowered to the mixing level the new vocal recording signal won't be as strong because it was initially recorded at a higher db.

What is the best way for me to maintain the same microphone settings on my sound card and software to give me consistency for when recording on separate occasions?

Offline rightonthemark

• Super Hero
Keep notes.
Either in a tablet by hand or save song/recording/mixing data in microsoft word or excel.
I generally set everything the same every time i record.
If i want to try something different i start a scratch session just for messing with things and take note of something i like or even things i want to make sure i don't ever do again.
Hope that helps...
Mark

Here is a scenario:

Typically when I create new sessions it could take me months to complete the vocals.
I am running pro tools 9, I create a new mono audio track and I start recording.  My microphone is plugged into my MAudio Fast Track Ultra8r usb recording device.  Usually when I record vocals I set the sensitivity to have as much power as possible without clipping.  Once the track is recorded I will work on preliminary mixes to give me an idea as to how it sounds.  Usually the volume fader for the vocals will come down which is where it sits better in the mix.  I save the project and exit.
Weeks, sometimes months will pass, I will call up the session and continue to work on the vocals.  My microphone sensitivity may not be in the exact same spot as it was (because I've since worked on another project and make adjustments to the sensitivity) OR, if the volume fader is lowered to the mixing level the new vocal recording signal won't be as strong because it was initially recorded at a higher db.

What is the best way for me to maintain the same microphone settings on my sound card and software to give me consistency for when recording on separate occasions?
rock-n-roll ain't pretty --- that's why they picked us to play it.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClRdBv1Ml1GLcVddYNFM-nA

Offline Dwayne Vincent

Keeping mic stand in same place and having room treatment would help.

I use a single mattress (with clean sheet) and put that behind me to absorb sound...room treatment ghetto style...I also have a fouton on opposite wall.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:43:23 AM by Dwayne Vincent »

Offline Mimmo

• Super Hero
I would also raccomend to keep notes of everything about the settings on paper if different from one to the other. It took me a wile to start doing that. But I do record my vocals in one sitting for final and if I'm not happy will start again...And if not happy then I will do it over on a different day. I will do punch in within the same session on the recording but not on a different day, not only because of the settings, I might sound or feel different the next time. My mood has to be the same through the all song. I posted a few picture of the mic I use.   I made the pad from material i got in a studio I rennovated a wile back it just helps if the room is not ideal for sound. Right now my studio is a mess because I'm renovating the other area around me, so I'm working in a tight spot.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:05:22 AM by Mimmo »
Mimmo
Love songs...and more

Offline nitch

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
You can always throw a volume envelope over the track and adjust it for the volume changes. It's easy in PT.

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080