Musicians Collaboration Studio

westview street

vino · 7 · 3202

Offline vino

Vino - 12 string , lyrics and spokals
Toadman - additional guitars
PapaG - Bass, drums and backing ooo's

I tried this song a couple of times before when I didn't know how to use my DAW (so what's changed) and got some great help and suggestions from Steffen and MickBrit so thanks to those people who helped with the many previous versions.

"There's a man called john, living in the front room down at 22 Westview Street
He's got a view of the harbour he use dto be a barber, he could cut your hair and it would look neat,
He says I got thoughts pop into my head, I can tell you they're not mine
and it may sound queer but there's telephone in here, and people call me all the time
22 westview Street, well one of the crew are trying to make it thru to 22 WVS.
That girl called Judy that lives out the back, says she does jazz ballet,
well 3 times a day she takes of her clothes down at the sex palais,
She wants someone to watch her dance who hasn't got his hand down the front of his pants,
Who'll take her of to Paris France and away from Westview Street....22 WVS
The room at the end of the corridor, it's been empty for a month or more,
old Mrs Crabbe says she can't rent it till they clean the blood stains of the floor
Poor old Mac he got it in the back from a junkie who just had to score,
No one showed when they put him down the hole John, Judy Crabbe and I made four...
all from 22 westview street.."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:37:53 PM by vino »

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
Still a very nice song, Vino! But it deserves a good mix to bring out its character. Right now the mix is a bit chaotic and strange.

I do not think the slap effect on the vocals works. This is an acoustic singer/songwriter piece, and that's what I would concentrate on. Better play with the dynamics (in the mix) rather than adding effects that don't suit the organic feel.

But other folks may disagree. It's just my opinion.

Great writing anyway! :)

Regards,
  Steffen
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline vino

Thanks Steffen, Always appreciate your opinion and suggestions. Still making changes on this "finished " song. The slap was one of the last things done, might be first undone. Cheers.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I'm sure there's a decent song in there somewhere but I can't hear it beneath the mix FX.

Steffen gives some good advice, try it again without so much slapback on the singing

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline rightonthemark

• Super Hero
still feeling new; especially on the mixing side of things; i've never really given much criticism on songs in the finished forum but wanted to try here because as CD said; there's a good song in there somewhere.
seems to have a bit too much FX; especially on the vox.
i would redo a mix beginning dry & only add enough FX to enhance the performances so as not to take it over & i think you'll find that good song.

rock-n-roll ain't pretty --- that's why they picked us to play it.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClRdBv1Ml1GLcVddYNFM-nA

Offline vino

Thanks for the advice, I took steffens suggestions and took all the effects off the vocals. Your all correct, it sounds much improved. I will as soon as I can, move it out of finished and back to studio A. Right now I'm under severe difficulties witrh my DAW, a little thing called windows 8.0. Avoid it, give it a miss it will ruin your life .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:29:11 PM by vino »