Musicians Collaboration Studio

4 track output from PC

bp1964 · 4 · 4251

Offline bp1964

• Almost is not good enough
    • Out Of The Silence
I am using Sonar X3 and Cakewalk with a creative labs EMU 0404 sound card. I know I can only get two tracks/channels (stereo) output from this card. What I want to do is get 4 tracks. I want to be able to separate the vocalist from the band during recording. Unless I'm setup wrong currently I am not able to do this. I have a 4 track mixer as the input to my sound card and an 8 track mini-disc recorder connected to the output. I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the band and vocal levels independently.

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
Hi Walter,

I was looking at the specs on the 0404, it's not really a soundcard its a USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI External Interface, and it's not a 4 track mixer, the specs show that it has just 1 stereo output via several stereo outs that are all the same signal, so unfortunately seems to be limited to just 1 stereo output. No matter what you do with the mic and other instruments before going into the 0404, you will always end up with 1 single stereo out coming out of the 0404. Why not record straight into the 8 track mini-disc recorder, if it has 8 outputs then adjust each individual level, then send the mix to the 0404.

Gary

Offline bp1964

• Almost is not good enough
    • Out Of The Silence
The problem is the computer generated instruments. So I have the multi tracks for the instruments on the PC and the voice coming in through the mixer. The problem is I get all of that coming out of the 0404 in stereo. Now I just had a thought. I can group the instruments and adjust their volume as whole separate from the vocal track.

Offline gbm

• Super Hero
Walter

I guess you are using some other OS than winXP. If you were using winXP OS you would have no problem mixing midi with audio in the windows mixer, win7 and 8 does not have that option that's why I continue to use WinXP.

:)