Musicians Collaboration Studio

Instrumentals for TV Licensing

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Got my first little payment for this year of around £40 ..my share for a track used in some Faceboook thing !

I've had a placement on a show called Ex On The Beach which is on MTV with a track I did called Island Eyes. I've added it to my TV playlist if anyone wants to listen.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/sets/as-heard-on-tv

I've been working on some Epic Americana style instrumentals with a guitarist friend so we are just reaching out to a new Library to see if they will take them with a view to making more if they like them. If not there are others we can try.

Take a listen here but please don't share as it's a private link:  https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/sets/hybrid-americana-album

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Mark .... did you take the play list down as the link came up blank?

No I think it changes the link address it you edit something though

Try this

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/sets/hybrid-americana-album/s-6vrz3

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
Very good Mark .... I like how you themed the tracks here .... they are short and to the point ... I could imagine all of them snapped up for a western style tv show

I had a browse around your other work as well ... all sounding great and you have been very busy ... like anything else the more names you can put up there the more you will be in demand ..... keep it up and well done

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Found out something cool this week. One of my tracks has been pitched for the new Sony/Marvel movie ' Morbius'

9 times out of 10 these pitches don't amount to anything but you gotta be in it to win it so it's good to even be put forward for it.

Even if you do get picked the scene might not make the final cut of the movie so it's all a bit of a dice roll really, I am assuming ther eis some sort of club scene or something like that.

Here is the track that was pitched  https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/swag-on-max-final-mix-mastered-2a/s-wu8Cv

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Good luck!  It does sound like an over-the-top posh sorta gala event.  Kinda like a Matrix party scene if they weren't so angry :)  Or a montage sequence for a fashion show.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Good luck!  It does sound like an over-the-top posh sorta gala event.  Kinda like a Matrix party scene if they weren't so angry :)  Or a montage sequence for a fashion show.

Cheers. Crucialmusic.com are are really difficult Library to get any music into

You can submit 3 tracks at a time. It takes them 12 week to review them. They reject almost everything and have only accepted 3 off me in about 18 months worth of submitting every 3 months!

But if they do accept it, then they seem pretty pro-active and they will always get a sync fee up front as well as you getting your back end royalties. It's non-exclusive as well so you can send them stuff that's been used non-exclusively elsewhere.

They show you in the login area any pitch activity. I've only landed one of the pitches on my list so far.

https://gyazo.com/3dc1f950db2e825ea6f4b5d396d29495

They seem to like EDM / Electronica although I have had an Indie Folk song accepted by them that we did for something else and got a local indie artist guy to sing on for us. Not had any traction with it yet though.

Might be worth a shot if anyone has music that is ' Broadcast Quality ' and sounds contemporary enough.

It's all totally free BTW but you do need to be a member of your country's PRO so that's PRS in the UK or ASCAP / BMI / SESAC in the States, SOCAN for the Canucks.

If they accept anything they will ask you to register it to your PRO as proof of ownership so you also need to make sure that any co-write splits are agreed and everyone who has a split has a PRO membership.

Luckily on this one it's all me  :o

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Very good Mark .... I like how you themed the tracks here .... they are short and to the point ... I could imagine all of them snapped up for a western style tv show

I had a browse around your other work as well ... all sounding great and you have been very busy ... like anything else the more names you can put up there the more you will be in demand ..... keep it up and well done

You will laugh Stoney but the first Library rejected them , they said cool music but the mix / master is a bit muddy so they passed.

So I remastered them and tried another one, he liked them but said he didn't have any clients that could use them so they wouldn't be the best fit for his catalogue. He also said the mixes could be better.

So my plan is once the new rig is set up I can remix them properly. This old PC was really straining as there's so many plugins and virtual instruments it was hard to work on them by the end. 

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Royalties Update.

Well it was Royalty Day this week, and it's a new personal best of £240 for the Qtr Jan-Mar 2020 plus another Library gave me a blanket share which was £38 by the time it was converted form Canadian $

So £278 + the £40 mentioned in Feb puts me at £318 for the year. the goal is to beat last year and hopefully get over £1,000 so it's a good start.

The statements haven't been released so I don't know what the breakdown is but I'll keep you guys posted when I know.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Hope everybody is doing well in these crazy times.

I forgot I said I would post a breakdown of April's. Not sure how to embed it in the post so it's on the link below

https://ibb.co/HTTtrv2

So you can see them in order of how much was paid this time around, I'll run through the Top 3:-

Wasteland Showdown - That was on MTV's - The Challenge...first payout

Ticker - Has been in 4 consecutive Episodes of Catfish...this is the 3rd payout I think, it's earned the most so far probably because it's like 4 placements in one really

Future Memories - That's one of my earlier Kardashian's tracks, think this is the 3rd payout..the others were more

Also bear in mind this is only really half of what I should be getting as I did a Lennon-McCartney type deal with my mate Dale where we just split everything 50-50 that we made in the first few years regardless of who had worked on it.

Unfortunately his half of the catalogue has been more Julian Lennon than John Lennon and barely earned any royalties so I've given half my own royalties away for very little in return. ( 2 of the tracks on that statement are Dale's that amount to about £10 )

We don't work that way any more so at some point my more recent tracks will start earning and I'll get 100%

In other news I've written a 10 track album of cues for a library in the style of my tracks that have been used on The Challenge , took about 6 weeks all told. I've just delivered all the Wavs so waiting for some paperwork to sign once they have reviewed them all.

CD  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:41:55 AM by CosmicDolphin »