*** MC MC #1 ***

Cary · 137 · 38995

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
You guys are going to leave me in the dust on this one.

I am going to download this tonight.

Thanks for all you are doing Cary.

NickT
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
I'm afraid I'll be in Nick's dust - much as I'd love to I just haven't got the time to spare at the moment. :(

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
neither do I david, but loe I have already put 3 hours into it.  LOL   ;D

don't start -- you won't want to stop!!
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline Cary

:)

David - I wish you could take a shot.  There wil be more, no doubt.

I wonder who will be the first to post a mix?  :)

There are so many things I'd like to discuss about the tracks and mix but I'm going to wait a bit as to not bias anyones direction.

8)
Cary

Simon

OK - downloaded and set up.

First impression - a lot of options here.....

Offline CurtisDowney66

Darn it, I wasn't gonna do this at all.  I got about as much(or little) time as anyone here....  But, I was getting frustrated with a mix of my own, so like Pete mentioned, once I started, I couldn't stop. ::).  This is kind of a feeler mix, I spent alot of time on it, but it is nowhere near complete.  First off, I haven't listened to it in anything but the phones yet.  Problems I know are there include some more panning needed, and I need to do some volume envelopes on a few things.
What I did do in this mix was I tried to keep it simple.  I left out alot of parts, I felt too much was mudding it up too much.  I decided to start with a simple acoustic and vocal only, then kicked the rest of the band in after the first chorus.  I also did alot of cutting and pasting on the kick drum.  I felt it needed to follow the bass alot more, especially since it is such a good bass line.  I found it alot easier to hear the kick and the bass both if they followed each other more.  I also extended the drums out to the end of the song.  Some eq here and compression here and there, and alot of cleaning of the vocals was done also. 
So as it sits, I used the acoustic guitar, and spread it out and used a 6 taps waves plug on it.  I then doubled the electric rythm and panned them left and right about 50 or so to each side.  I didn't do much at all with the bass, just plugged it in and pressed play.  I added some junk to the drums, not alot, because there is quite a bit on them already.   Mostly just compression and EQ, and some verb.  I did use a bit of auto tune on the vocal, but never went through it all yet.  Mostly I spent time cleaning up some of the excessive breating on the vocals :D.  Ray needs to quit smoking so much ;D.  I used a desseer on the lead vocal.  I used a 2:1 compression at -25 db.  Then I used another waves plug that is like a vocal exciter.  If you have waves, it is in the audio track pulg and the setting called vocal with presence.  I then added a bit of verb on it to polish it up some. 
Like I say, I don't know how good it sounds really, but it rocks in my headphones, which means absolutley nothing to me, because most everything does ::).  I will revisit the mix at another time, after I finish up some of my own things. Just figured I did all this work with this, I would post it to get things rolling.
Ok, now I gotta get some sleep.....
Curtis
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:23:37 PM by CurtisDowney66 »

Offline Tacman7

Okay, my friend downloaded the files for me, going to go pick them up today.

I guess I don't even want to read curtis post or listen to his mix till I do some preliminary work on my own...?

Is that the best way to go about it... get my own preliminary mix done before I start reading and listening?

Thanks

Simon

'Scuse me for cheatin' here - but I've only bothered submitting the first part (up to the end of the first chorus) - mainly because it really sets the song up and the majority of the rest will be mixed in a similar style. And no doubt, there are going to be few handy tips - so no point in redoing everything again.

Basically, I employed pretty heavy use of Melodyne for this one.

Anyway, when you note the glaring areas that require attention - please advise.

Thanks
simon

dogbizkits

I've got a preliminary mix too, but there's still loads of work to do before submitting anything. This is just to get the general feel as I've not heard the song until today. I'm with Tacman on the notion of not wanting to be influenced by other mixes (or commentary) posted on a given mix. Having said that, I think the commentary and initial mixes posted will have real value to those who may feel a bit "intimidated" by the objecive set out. Nothing wrong with that at all in my book  :)

It'll be interesting to hear how the all the mixes compare in due course. Until then, I'll just soldier on and see what transpires here at the dogpound.

Rab  8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:39:51 PM by dogbizkits »

Offline Bassic_Soul

• Rollin with the flow
Here's a first rough mix to present to the band. ;)

Before I take the time to polish this mix I want to know if the artists like this approach of "building" the song or if they had more of a "wall of sound" mix in mind.

In this mix I have built around the piano and vocals. The BU vocals have been layered in one at a time. I have used the Lead guitar take 2 only. If I continue with this mix I would ask the drummers permission to tame parts of the kick drum & cymbal pattern early in the song. I have not used the accoustic guitar track, the electric fill tracks or lead track 1. 

This mix has no compression, some EQ work and needs more work on the lead vocals.

Let me know. 8)

BTW: I guess I'd have to buy a $14 license to use MP3's, so I'll be sending up 192 Kb WMA's.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:00:05 AM by Bassic_Soul »
Preston

Offline Cary

Alright!  The mixes are coming in.

Here is my take on it.  I'm pretty excited to see some of the guys had similar ideas about bulding the song up.

Now I need to listen to all these mixes.

lol

I'm going to hold off on my mix details for a few days.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:55:53 PM by Cary »
Cary

Offline Cary

Here's a first rough mix to present to the band. ;)

Before I take the time to polish this mix I want to know if the artists like this approach of "building" the song or if they had more of a "wall of sound" mix in mind.

In this mix I have built around the piano and vocals. The BU vocals have been layered in one at a time. I have used the Lead guitar take 2 only. If I continue with this mix I would ask the drummers permission to tame parts of the kick drum & cymbal pattern early in the song. I have not used the accoustic guitar track, the electric fill tracks or lead track 1. 

This mix has no compression, some EQ work and needs more work on the lead vocals.

Let me know. 8)

BTW: I guess I'd have to buy a $14 license to use MP3's, so I'll be sending up 192 Kb WMA's.

You have the freedom to do anything within the 'playing rules'  If you are going to move anything around, you just need to have a good reason (for yourself) why you felt it needed to be done.  That being said, one could argue any of their own 'edits' as being necessary.  What makes a good mixer stand out from the rest is that when they take those liberties, the rest of the listening audience says "yeah, that sounds good!"
Cary

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Well, here's my wack at it.  I've paned everything everywhere.  I've upped the mids and dropped the bass and highs on the guitars.  I've upped the highs and dropped the mids and bass on the vocals.  The drums are as is.  Built it up a bit.  And I've not done anything to the pitch of the vocals.  I can't that they're out.  I guess it's a singers thing.  Or practise.  Which I've not had.  So.. We'll see what you guys think.    I've only listened to it through my cans so far.  I don't have anything else really to listen to it on.  At least, not stereo.

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:55:09 AM by DoozerDan »

Offline Brina

holy crap guys!!!

I'm starting fresh and haven't even gotten half way thru...

Preston, if cary says it falls with in the rulls as far as the "drummer"...go for it, its preprogrammed stuff I did myself. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Brina
I just wanna sing..email me sometime  sabrinalund1973@yahoo.com

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
OK, sounded like good fun, so I decided to throw my hat in the ring too.

Mike

p.s., if WMA is a problem, then I can repost as MP3