Musicians Collaboration Studio

*** MC MC #1 ***

Cary · 137 · 38992

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
wow, this is kind cool listening to the other mixes.  there are lots of similar ideas, yet several different takes too.  keep em coming.

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
BTW, what was the source for the drums?  drum machine (808)?  keyboard?  Just curious, cause I'm pretty sure those are the same samples used on Joe Walsh's "Ordinary Average Guy".

Mike

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
wow, this is kind cool listening to the other mixes.  there are lots of similar ideas, yet several different takes too.  keep em coming.

Yeah, it is cool listening to other mixes.  

This is a great song.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
This may be the only chance to mix this. I have a timing issue in the solo I want to fix and didn't tune Ray.

A little different approach.

of course feedback is welcome. I am still learning the new monitors.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

I wanted to post my first take on it before I listened to other submissions.

This isn't a mix exactly, I just organized the tracks and set the levels and hit record.

Just trying to find what sort of sound it should have.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:45:14 PM by Tacman7 »

Offline Cary

Here's a first rough mix to present to the band. ;)

my first impressions:
your mix sounds very mono.  Do you use reverb as an insert on the channel strip, or do you use it in a aux bus?  Either way, it seems like the reverb return is not in stereo.  Check into that.
Cary

Offline Cary

...Like I say, I don't know how good it sounds really, but it rocks in my headphones, which means absolutley nothing to me, because most everything does ::).  I will revisit the mix at another time, after I finish up some of my own things. Just figured I did all this work with this, I would post it to get things rolling.
Ok, now I gotta get some sleep.....
Curtis

Very nice Curtis.   8)
Cary

Offline Cary

Well, here's my wack at it.  I've paned everything everywhere.  I've upped the mids and dropped the bass and highs on the guitars.  I've upped the highs and dropped the mids and bass on the vocals.  The drums are as is.  Built it up a bit.  And I've not done anything to the pitch of the vocals.  I can't that they're out.  I guess it's a singers thing.  Or practise.  Which I've not had.  So.. We'll see what you guys think.    I've only listened to it through my cans so far.  I don't have anything else really to listen to it on.  At least, not stereo.

Dan.

Dan- the lead vocal is out of sync.  See if you can't straighten that out and re-post a revised mix.
Cary

Offline CurtisDowney66

I have a timing issue in the solo I want to fix
Hey Nick, I had the same problem with the same solo, it doesn't line up like all the other tracks did. The whole track needed to be moved to line it up. So anyone else using that track, beware of it >:D.  I don't remember what the name of the track was, but it is the lead that doesn't have all the extra fills in it.
Curtis

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I wanted to clarify my earlier statement.

I thought Ray did a bang  up job on vox.

My comment on tuning was just that I will usually go over the tune and "touch-up" some notes that may be a little sharp or flat. I do that with everyone!

OK...I feel better!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Hey Nick, I had the same problem with the same solo, it doesn't line up like all the other tracks did. The whole track needed to be moved to line it up. So anyone else using that track, beware of it >:D.  I don't remember what the name of the track was, but it is the lead that doesn't have all the extra fills in it.
Curtis

I noticed that track was comped or something. First half lines up after the bump, but not the second half. Plus I cut and pasted the drums in that section for flow.

nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Cary

Curtis

I noticed that track was comped or something. First half lines up after the bump, but not the second half. Plus I cut and pasted the drums in that section for flow.

nick

Yes guys, agreed.  This was the type of thing I wanted to keep the clinic from experiencing.  I'm sorry about that.  On the other hand, this is the exact thing that can (and does) occur when mixing stuff you didn't track yourself.  Bonus points for those who noticed!
Cary

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
First impressions -

Curtis- Nice mix. Lead vox seems a little harsh. 5K maybe? The rest of the mix is very smooth.

Simon- You had some fun with melodyne! Overall mix is even and nice to listen to. The drums could use some treatment, maybe even an overall drum buss comp.

Preston - The eq on the vox along with the compression is making them "Bark" a little. I would try for a little more open eq on the lead vox. The lead track is a little hot for the bed. Good start.

Cary - Very 'open' mix. The guitar treatment is nice. I find the 'fill' lead over bearing. Tasty licks for sure, just to much with the lead vox. Tones are all there and nice drum treatment.

Dan - Vox is a half measure late as mentioned by Cary. The vox get lost with all the guitars  and strings going in the chorus. Drums could use some treatment or just come up. Tones are good.

Mike - Very "bold" mix. Drums are a little hot! (Of course they are! :) ) Lots of air in the mix. I like that. Nice treatment of the acoustic.

Tac - Smooth mix. Low mids might be getting a little muddy. A little busy with the oooh's in the verse.

Nice start everyone!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Man... You guys really got a jump on this. I downloaded the tracks but haven't even looked at them. Maybe I'll get on the next one. This one's probably over my head anyways.  ::)

Dave

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
OK, here's my second (and hopefully final) mix.  Since we're pretending to have a paying client, I'll pretend its done.   8)

anyway, on this one I mainly just fixed some more drum issues, and some dynamics/mix stuff I heard after listening to the first again.  also wanted that break after the solo...

Mike
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:36:15 PM by digitaldrummer »