Musicians Collaboration Studio

Penny Guitar V2 - Tubes Mix's

Guest · 6 · 4259

youtube

PENNY GUITAR (Version #2)

Credits:
Kelly Almond: Acoustic guitar, piano, lead vocals, harmony vocals, lyrics & arrangement.
Jman: Drums & percussion
Youtube: Bass guitar, lead guitar, tambourines, hand clapping, additional acoustic guitars, additional rhythm electric guitars, mix & arrangement of mix's.
Tacman7: (To submit lead guitar) may post remix with Toms work if that comes about.

Updated Mix's.
Remix's Re-Posted: In response to Dave's Feed back. Made some corrections.

Penny Guitar 2 Acoustic Based Mix.

Penny Guitar Piano Based Mix.

Well folks I almost gave up on this one in the making of version #2 but I came back and got it done.  There are "2" version mix's being posted as finals. One is more of a piano based version and the other is more of less
an acoustic based version. Kelly Almond wrote this song and it's about a guitar kid who loves to play his guitar. Kelly had some additional ideas on the re write of this song and it was revised and re arranged from version #1. I consider version "1" a beta version. I hope folks out there like & enjoy our work on this song. 

PENNY GUITAR
Version (2)

I got an old guitar but it's not very good       
Got it from an old man in the neighborhood.
I don't know how to play so I'm not very good.

But I like to hold her 'cause she feels so good.   
She like magic; not like the other girls.
She gives me power.  'Cause she's my obsession.
She Feels just like an un-holy transgression.
I will never give her up even though she was free.

Penney guitar, feels alright to me.     
And she fits in my arms so easily
I'll probably regret it but I'll never let her go

Don't know what it is about her.
I Don't understand at all
I just know that when I hold her
Heaven on Earth may Fall

INSTRUMENTAL SECTION I

They laugh and say that your a dream girl               
But your more than that to me
I know someday you'll become real
Then all will be revealed

INSTRUMENTAL SECTION II

I can't explain what's come over me.         
Strange new feelings I don't understand
Today's in color and yesterday was gray

Don't know where I'm going to but I don't care       
And I feel so alive when she's in my arms.
I don't imagine that I'd ever give her up.
Nothing on earth or heaven could make me
feel so alive; thought I'd never be free.

REPEATS CHORUS X 2
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:48:07 AM by youtube »

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
I quite like this song. Great vocal work, sounds very 60's. I like the lead guitar sound as well.

Couple of minor things stand out to me
The start sounds very abrupt, almost like the first part is cut off.
The drums seem to disappear in the middle and then come back up.
The tom fills in the piano version sound too loud.

On the good side you got the perfect amount of reverb on the vocals and lead guitar they both sound great.

I don't agree with some of your panning but that's purely subjective. It'd be boring if we all mixed the same way :)

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Sounds cool Tubes.

I like the harmonies. I agree with some of daves comments about drums.

Sounds like the levels are all there otherwise.

Nice job all!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

youtube

Wonderful Feed back Dave.  8) Thank You.  ;)

Thank you Nick  ;)

I will use this feed back to improve. And if I remix I will correct some of these things to. Truly when it comes to panning left/right this song works in Mono, just as a lot of songs were mixed in mono in the 60's. The way the start comes in is something I was wondering about  too when I was mixing. That's why I said to the guys "Let's try and get the arrangement better next time". In some colabs, I actually show them how it should go but I made a few suggestions to Kelly but I really never say :"okay lets start it off like this" and showed them. In Kelly's "Why can't I Just Get Old" I showed Jman how the drums should go and he did it even though it was Kelly's song. 

I felt the bridge could of had a little climb chord combo and drum fills to bring us into the bridge and then I felt the bridge should have been a touch slower. Almost like another song. But that's risky business in music as they say. Songs with tempo changes tend to bring fatigue to the listeners. Some groups have gotten
away with it.

I guess that's why feed back is so important during the process. As some others there have been times in colabs or in performance when I did not listen to the feed back. In most cases we listen somewhat to get through to the end but maybe the things we shrugged off are the fine edges that make the song great or greater.

Reverb wise I am getting better at adjusting the vocals but I don't like plug in verbs. A while back I had those external expensive processors (digital Verbs) and in most cases they did not make vocals seems so congested. But I think the good plug in verbs work well and give if used correctly. Sometimes no verb at all works better. My believe is that some rooms tend to give off a natural verb to vocals any ways. Lots of choices in the end.

Age wise. 60's wise.. I loved that time period.  There is good music in all period of time being made and one can have a field day listening forever. But I would like to move forward a tab sometimes soon if we are not stuck in a bubble.  ;D With my own stuff I get "Modern" "Dated".. a mix of all the time periods...

Insert: Dave I went back to check and learned something about the drums. Because of the nature of the bridge I guess Jman played somewhat softer. When I examined the wave I noticed that part throughout the drums seperates are very low. See image. The snare is even worst. He changed the drumming pattern to in that part. a straight ahead beat would have ben saver. I agree about the start to. I can insert a drum roll there or something on remix. The Toms in the piano based version were correct in the first mix and then they were no loud enough and now they are too loud. Will correct these on remix. Tom was going to submit the lead work he is doing and I will be making a remix of the acoustic version and will ad some of these suggestions.

Again great feed back..

Best Regards

Tubes   ;)

P.S
See image thumb nail. The part with the box. Notice how low the beats are compared to the rest of the wave form. yes the drums sound like they come back in. They sort of fade. Not really bad but I should have caught that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:00:54 AM by youtube »

Offline Jman

• Stealth Drums and Percussion
Sorry for the delayed response Tubes.... I've been very busy in the real world as of late.... I haven't had a chance to listen to all the mixes, but I did just download the latest, Final. I like what you did. Different sound on the drums than the first version... I like it...The fade on the drums was not your fault. This is the second version we did on this song. On the first version I did additional percussion throughout the middle break and actually planned on doing the same on this one, so I played a bit more subdued during that section.... with cymbal swells... etc... Just never got back to doing the percussion tracking.... J

youtube

Jerry I remixed in regards to the wonderful feed back. Going to post the updates now in box #1. Will update this box later too.

Jman thank you. We all are busy people every now and then it's easy to forget we have lives apart from the tube PC. No problem.  :-X  Sometimes we get over whelmed  ::)  and it's easy to forget people have lives. "No life accept for being here!"  >:D  :D

Jman Said
The fade on the drums was not your fault. This is the second version we did on this song. On the first version I did additional percussion throughout the middle break and actually planned on doing the same on this one, so I played a bit more subdued during that section.... with cymbal swells... etc... Just never got back to doing the percussion tracking.... J

Well I should have caught it. In most cases I don't have to edit your separates. Maybe bring up a beat or two. Maybe raise a fill or something. In this case the song sort of changed tempo's. I don't really want to say that. I felt we should have went in with a nice fill and then made it slower in that section. That is risky in the music business though. Only "some" groups have gotten away with doing that. But I managed to bring it up now. Think it is okay now. No need to redo the drums because I took a few snips of your drums seps for the start. Next time you can do it. This time I have taken care of it.

Updated Mix's.
Remix's Re-Posted: In response to Dave's Feed back. Made some corrections.

Penny Guitar 2 Acoustic Based Mix.

Penny Guitar Piano Based Mix.

Tubes  :D