Musicians Collaboration Studio

Using reverb for a final mix

Caine · 8 · 4754

Offline Caine

Hi guys,

while googling for some mixing/mastering articles, I found that some engineers put a final touch of reverb or ambience over their final mix/master.
My question: is this a standard procedure or only a possibility? Do you guys use it?

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Not something I do but that doesn't make it wrong. I like to have any reverb in place before mastering and only on the tracks that need it rather than the whole mix.
Remember rule #1 - there are no rules :)

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I agree with David's rule #1 :)

That said I rarely (if ever) use that sort of reverb on a final mix myself, I tend to have all that stuff worked out before I get to mastering :)

Offline luisma1972

• LMA Project Page
I also agree on that rule  ;)

In my case I usually put some reverb on the entire mix before mastering, in the mix estage, that is. A room typically. When mastering, only if I feel its needed. Every case is different.
Luis Manuel Aguilar

Offline Letizia

• LetiziaMusic.com
another yes to rule #1

and another yes to verb, when used, on the final mix before mastering.

usually try to make it as subtle as possible. get it to where i can barely notice it, then back it off a little. like to listen to the difference between on and bypass to see which i like better.

prefer no reverb to bad reverb

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I've tried it a coupla times and it did work in the sense that it made the song seem more together , but it also seems to lose punch and I think that the contempory sound nowadays isn't one with alot of reverb smothered over it.

I have found it works well on stuff like live recordings  - I once remastered a recording of  Brass band that my wife was in that was pretty awful and the overall reverb certainly helped bring that recording back to life too.

I think if your going to try if make sure you use the best reverb you can - there's a great free convolution reverb called SiR if you're on a budget, and choose something like an ambience patch as a starting point.  Then once you think you've got exactly the right amount - back it off few clicks !!

CosmicDolphin
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

dogbizkits

I'm also with Dave on the reverb. His rule 1 is also my rule 1 :)

Rab.

Offline Caine

thanks guys.
i think i'll try it on a few mixes in future  :)