Musicians Collaboration Studio

MP3 File Converted to WAV File

Offline Johnny-Boy

• Music Making Maniac
Holy cow it's been a long time since I've been over here. I hope you still remember me. Anyway, getting down to business.

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this question?

A friend ask me if she changed an mp3 file (that was originally a wav file) back to a wav file would it be the same sound quality as the original wav file.

I tested this out a while back and discovered the original wav file was much larger in size than the wav file created from the mp3.

I also noticed the original wav file was 24 bit, but the wav converted from the mp3 remained 16 bit.

Now technically I know the original wav file is of better quality (even if I can't hear it). But is the wav file created from the mp3 file better quality than the mp3 file?  I also wonder if one can hear the difference between the wav file created from the mp3 and the original wav file?

I'd appreciate any clarification on this question.

Thanks, John
Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
MP3's are created partly by removing audio information (below a certain level or above a certain freqency). Converting it to a wav file will not put this lost data back, it will just make the file size bigger. There is no way to convert an mp3 back to the original quality of the wav file.

Offline Johnny-Boy

• Music Making Maniac
Thanks David. I understand converting an MP3 to wav won't replace lost data, but is the file size the only thing that changes? 

I remember a Recording Magazine review of the SoundForge program once stated they could hear an improvement in sound quality when SoundForge converted MP3's to wav's.

Best, John :)

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Yep, at that point the only thing that's changing is the format and filesize.  The actual audio data cannot get better at any point in the equation.  The WAV will sound exactly the same as the MP3 -- or potentially worse depending on the converter and the process used!

For the 16bit vs. 24bit .. it's possible to go from MP3 to 24bit WAV, but due to the reasons above there's no real reason to do so, it just makes the file bigger once again.  If someone needs to bring it back into a 24bit project give them the 16bit wav and let them do it when they import it.

Now if you want a compressed format that is lossless (i.e. you don't lose any sound quality) go with Monkey Audio (.ape).  It works in a much different way than MP3 and doesn't destroy any sound data during the conversion process in or out.

Hope this helps :)

Mark

P.S. Good to see you post Johnny! :D  It's been a while hehe.

Offline Johnny-Boy

• Music Making Maniac
Thanks for the final word Mark. I'm not pursuing this any further.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Best, John