Musicians Collaboration Studio

Killer Queen

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
this is just too cool not to pass on.  If you follow this link, you may find the links to download the separate tracks for Queen's "Killer Queen".  You want to keep looking as there is a link for the "missing files" too.

http://raf.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=10&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen+General+Discussion&TOPIC_SUBJECT=24-track+Killer+Queen+masters%3F%3F%3F&Q=1075630&page=2

Freddie just sounds incredible.  It is also interesting to hear such an amazing sounding song with so much bleed and noise!  I'm not advocating that anyone do anything illegal with these tracks - just listen and use them as a learning tool (I'm not sure how they got out, but they are already out in the wild now).  And at the end you can hear what sounds like "that wasn't bad"...  "it wasn't great"...  yeah, whatever guys!  ;D

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
Are these anywhere but megaupload?  I hate having to download a "downloader". 
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Thanks Mike,

Got it last night. WOW. It's very cool to push some faders with this.

Nice find!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Cary

Wow Mike, that was a great find.  Thank you!
Cary

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
you don't have to download any "downloader".  just wait for the free download (you have to be patient grasshoppers...).

I actually ran across some multitracks from the Beatles Sgt. Pepper too.  it's not all the individual tracks, because they were working on 4-tracks and had to keep bouncing, but there was 4 separate tracks.  Again it was really interesting to hear the compressors at work and the huge amount of reverb on some of the voices, etc.

rumor is that there are some Police tracks out there too.  would love to hear those.  I think these are showing up as many of the 24-track masters are being transferred to disk (after they bake the tapes) hoping to preserve them.  All those 2" tapes are sitting in vaults and just rotting.

Peter Gabriel and NIN (Nine Inch Nails) had also posted some multitracks of their songs to allow you to remix them.  I find it highly educational to just load them up and see what the heck was going on before mixing and mastering.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
There was a torrent kicking around of that one a while back, it's awesome!  It's fun to remix.  Man some of that guitar stuff hehe.  Freddie sounds .. ummm ... killer!

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline Blades

I downloaded but have not yet extracted Killer Queen.  I will definitely get the BoRhap as well if the pieces are available. 

Queen is my absolute favorite band, so this is super cool.  I've already done one cover (Seven Seas of Rhye with guitar, bass, piano as collab) and this would give me a great launching pad for doing something interesting with another Queen tune - awesome for learning what goes into these arrangements - how much of the stuff you don't hear (or do) depending on how the voicings are mixed, the layers of vocals or guitars - the knowing "ah, so that's what his drumkit sounded like, *blech* - geez if THAT sounds good on an album and "all that background noise" is ok, I have nothing but my lack of talent (not equipment) to blame for my tunes! :)

Appreciate the links to these - I'll have plenty of fun with them, I'm sure.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Those BR seps are wild. Freddie was the man.  There's one neat pair of tracks, I think they had 2 of his lead vocal tracks out of phase and sightly overdriven, which allows for some neat effects and combinations.

BR must have been one of those mixes where they had 10 people all gathered around the board when it came mix time.  I'm very very thankful for the tools we have at hand now!!

Offline Rattlehed

there a few tracks missing from the first download link, i think the rest are on page three of that thread

Offline Sharpola

• Poppin' Rockers
  • Super Hero
  • my my bless my soul miga diga baga nig nictin toe
    • Sharpola on Facebook
I've downloaded both tune..
Is BoRap really 72 tracks? I loaded 48 tracks so far and my computer still going  8)

Ray

Offline digitaldrummer

• digitaldrummer.net
no, when you extract part 1 of the RAR it should continue to use pt2, pt3 automatically.  there are only 24 tracks.

I can't believe how bad the tom mics sound on both sets, but especially on killer queen--totally distorted.  but listen in the mix and its fine.  I don't think its all tape saturation either--sounds like the mic is toally overloaded.

Also did anyone notice the gong at the end of BR?  don't think that never made it to the final mix..

lots of cool stuff.   ;)

Offline groverk

• The Pendletones
Yep the gong is in the final mix, sounds like some kind of highpass on it in the final mix plus I think they gave it a semi quick fade.

I agree about the drum mic's.

Ken