Musicians Collaboration Studio

Newbie: Mic Input Level

Basil · 16 · 9801

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Hi Members,

I'm using a demo of Reaper and I can't seem to find any input mic level controls.
What I'm doing right now is pluging into the 1/8 jack on my laptop and using a battery powered condensor mic and headphones.  The input level is very loud and I have back away from the mic inorder to get a good monitor mix.  I tryed using the windows mic slider and this doesn't do anything.

Thanks
Basil

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Basil,

make sure you go to start> Settings>control panel> Sounds and audio

Make sure you have the asio device selected in the audio tab. Under recording, the microphone should be selected and you should be able to set the volume there.

use the windows settings first then if your audio card has  it's own mixer, you may be able to control it there.

Let us know your laptop ,model and sound card that is included.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Basil

Hi NickT,

"make sure you go to start> Settings>control panel> Sounds and audio "
 I've done this, but it doesn't change the input level of the mic,
Also under the sound recording tab it showns ....Conexant AMC audio.
I installed ASIO4all but it doesn't show up as a choice in the Windows sound and audio tab?
In Reaper the ASIO4all shows up and I have this as my choice for audio preferances.
I'm just not sure how to cut back the input signal of the mic that is directly pluged into the 1/8 jack on my laptop. 
The Windows mixer and the Reaper sliders do nothing for the input mic level.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Basil

Offline atljam

Hi Basil,
you may have your mic boost checkmarked under your Windows Sound > Recording settings Advanced Settings for the Microphone, there you will find a checkbox to boost mic, it may be checked

Dan
Keys, Guitar, Songwriting

Offline Basil

Hi Dan,

I tryed unchecking the boost and the mic slider still doesn't change the input level.
Having the boost turned off makes the mic input low, but the slider still doesn't do anything.

Thanks for your help

Basil

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Which mic is it ?

I take it you're connecting to the built in mic socket ?...which may not be the right impedance for the mic you have....and they usually sound pretty bad too.

Better to use a Usb audio card if you can.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Basil

Hi CosmicDolphin,

"Which mic is it ?    MXL V63MBP

I take it you're connecting to the built in mic socket ?...which may not be the right impedance for the mic you have....and they usually sound pretty bad too.

Better to use a Usb audio card if you can."

That's what I'm doing at the moment.
The sound isn't to bad....it's just the input level adjustment.
I'm thinking about buying some better gear for recording collaboration vocals, but I'm just getting started with this new adventure.
Right now I have my laptop, a cheap MXL battery powered condensor mic, headphones and a demo of Reaper.

Any recommendation?

Thanks
Basil

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
What I'm doing right now is pluging into the 1/8 jack on my laptop

That would mean you're using the onboard mic pre-amp built into the laptop......? Which you don't want to be doing .......

Did you say you have an external soundcard...if so which one ?  Let's see if we can figure this out.

CD

Offline Basil

I've been thinking about buying the CakeWalk Sonar Power Studio 250 which comes with a version of Sonar SE 6 and Edirol UA-25.  I'm just trying to make what I have work at the moment inorder to test how well I can collaborate online.....don't want put the cart in front of the horse.   

Thanks
Basil

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Basil,

This is frustrating I know. But do you have the mic  on your soft mixer selected?  Should be a little checkbox. Also did you try the other inputs for control? Like wav or line?

Have you tried tech support for the laptop?

Without it in front of me, it's hard to trouble shoot.

Hi Dan,

I tryed unchecking the boost and the mic slider still doesn't change the input level.
Having the boost turned off makes the mic input low, but the slider still doesn't do anything.

Thanks for your help

Basil

What is low? If you are recording at 24 bit, -18 to -12 is fine. -6 is fine for 16bit. So how low is low?

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I'm just trying to make what I have work at the moment inorder to test how well I can collaborate online.....don't want put the cart in front of the horse.   

You're right not to spend too much one your first setup.....

In order to make it so you can do some test collaborations online, where are you plugging your mic into ? If you're using Asio4all then I'm assuming it's the onboard mic socket ?

They are not normally suitable for the kind of mic you have...it's hard to tell without knowing your exact setup, but there could well be an impedance mis-match which is causing you problems......

Try reading this for an explanation http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/impedance.html

There are some very low priced usb audio interfaces on the market , and even Usb mics that can record directly into Reaper etc. so you don't need to spend alot to get going....but my experience of recording via onboard audio is that it's just not up to it, except for some of the Apple Macs I've used. 

CD

Offline Basil

Hi Guys,

I tryed all your recommentions, but still no luck.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance.
Basil

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Basil. I think I know the problem. Down on the right hand corner of your tray you will see a small speaker icon. 'Right' click on that and go 'open volume controls'. There you will see your output levels. In the volume control panel go to 'options-properties'. Click on recording and go ok. In there you will see sliders for all your recording. Adjust that as needed.

Hope that helps.  :)

Dave

Offline Basil

Hi StudioPlayer,

I'll have to try this again.
I'm able to record using the 1/8 plug-in jack of my laptop and this battery powered condensor mic.
I have to stand back about five feet or I peak out the signal and when I trun off the windows microphone boost the siganl level is good, but I can't hear myself very good.
I'll just deal with this set-up and see how things go, before I upgrade to somethng better.

Thanks
Basil

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Well, check out those instructions. You should be able to balance what is recorded and what you hear through those 2 control panels.

Dave