Musicians Collaboration Studio

Recording Vocals at different sessions..Newbie

Basil · 58 · 22358

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Hi,

Is there a trick to pick up where you left off when recording vocals on different days?
IE....I'm using the same everything, but I can seem to match the same sound.

Thanks for any advice on this subject.
Basil

Offline CurtisDowney66

It would seem like it is an easy thing to do, but it is actually very hard.  The thing is for me, my voice seems like it never sounds the same from one day to the next.  The thing to remember is that if you don't warm up your vocals first, (I never do btw), my vocals sound better or stronger after a few takes.  I would assume that the last takes you did the day before weren't the first of that day.  For me, the last takes of the day are gonna sound more like the last takes of the next day.  So what I am saying, for me anyway, I never expect the first take of the next day to sound like the last take of the day before, it just never does.... That make any sense to ya?  So just make sure all your settings haven't changed, that you are the same distance from the mic as the day before, and then wait for the later takes to start sounding like the day before...
Curtis

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I find I NEVER sound the same...I never move my mic and use the same setting....

I think it's just one of those things....too many variables...even stoopid things like the ambient temperature can make the mic act very slightly differently , you may have used your voice more chatting in the day , or had more cigarettes ....I don't think it's easy to match your vocals up.

Better to just do the whole main track in one go and punch in on the same session anything that needs fixin'

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Basil

Hi Curtis,

Exactly!   What you have described in detail, is exactly what has been driving me crazy.
I thought maybe there was some method of over coming this with all the new technology available. 

Hi CD,   
I totally agree with you 100% about getting everything recorded all at the same time.
I guess some things change and some do not.   

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and for validating my sanity.....well sort of  :)

Basil

Offline Basil

Got a question.
How close to the mic are you when your recording ?
Right now I'm using a condenser mic and when I sing loud it distorts.

Curtis....you use a dynamic SM58 and do you have this problem?
CD........you use a AT4040 does this happen to you?
or anyone else that would like to chime in .
I get certain tones and can hit different notes when I sing at different volume levels and when I move away from the mic it sounds like I'm away from the mic....it's driving me crazy.

Thanks for any advice
Basil

Offline CurtisDowney66

I can get right up on my mic if I need to.  I can get different tones just from moving away more, or getting closer to it.  I've even sang at an angle to get a little different sound.  I have a homemade pop filter attached to my mic also, it sticks out about an inch from the mic, so I guess I never get any closer than that, but I'll stick my lips right on it if needed.  I never get too far away from the mic though, no more than a foot or so.
Curtis

Offline Basil

Curtis,
What you have just stated leeds me to believe I should be using a trusty dynamic stage mic.
How loud do you sing ?   

Offline CurtisDowney66

It all depends on the song but to be honest, I don't really sing that loud compared to some.  There are times I let go though.  Some of what you need to do is keep an eye on your input levels.  If I am gonna blow loud, I will turn down the levels a bit, so as not to clip.  I also think my pre amp helps things some too. 
Curtis

Offline Basil

Curtis,
What make and model of preamp do you use?
What software do you use for recording ?
Right now I have a condenser mic pluged into my 1/8 jack of my laptop and some headphones.

Offline CurtisDowney66

Well I have an sm58, plugged into an ART Tube MP Studio pre-amp, then that just plugs into the 1/8 jack on my soundblaster card on my PC.  I use Adobe Audition as my multitrack software.  I am thinking hard of getting a better soundcard, actually I have thought about it for a long time, just never got around to it.  I was looking at the EM-U 1212, just haven't bought one yet.  I keep thinking that if it ain't broke, why fix it...lol.  I just want to be able to record 24 bit, and I want to loose the 1/8 in jack.  The plug on my soundcard now sometimes requires a bit of wiggling to make it work, and the 1212 has 1/4 in jacks.  I am just afraid of change I guess...
Curtis

Offline Basil

I here ya.

The thing about computer stuff,once you open it up it's yours.
You don't even know if it's right for you until you try it out for awhile.
The 1/8 jack problem....Duct Tape.....LOL!!!

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Curtis, I'll let you know how the EMU1212 is. I've had it for about 6 months now but I will be putting it in my machine very soon. Just trying to find a break to do it. Too much music on the go.

Basil, I have to say that having worked with Curtis many times he has some of the best vocals going here. Not bad for a Shure 58 and an ARTTube preamp.  8) Those little ARTTubes work pretty good. Cheap and work well. I use to use one with my old bands singer when we were recording. Seems to warm up the vocals nicely. Doesn't take much.

Dave

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
John Clark (JHC) gave me an incredibly useful tip the other day. He hangs his condenser mic so the body is above the diaphram. He then pushes the mic away from him so it's at an angle. He then sings 2" to 3" below the microphone. Voila! No sibilllance, no pop sounds! And no pop filter needed. I've changed that slightly for me. I hang the mic straight down, but I sing so that the LOWEST part of the mic is basically at the center of my nose or above. And I then sing about 1" away from the mic. So far this has been incredibly useful for me. I don't lose a lot of tone, but I definitely lose the sibillance and pop. Maybe it will help some of you guys too?

You guys probably already know this, but the distance from the mic is so important. It's called the bass proximity effect... the closer you get, the more bass you get in your vocals. So let's say one day you record at 2" from the mic at a lower preamp level. Then two days later you record at 8" away, but you boost the preamp level so the raw volumes are the same. You STILL won't get the same sound because of the bass proximity effect. If you haven't tried a test of this, I would.

Paul
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)

Offline Basil

Hi Paul,

Those are great tips. 
Do you sing loud?
I'll explain the best I can. 
When I sing just above normal talking level and have the mic 2ft from me no distortion,
anything else is a no good in less I move about 4ft from the mic.

What gear are you using Mic,Preamp, Software, etc.. ?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:11:15 AM by Basil »