Musicians Collaboration Studio

Best Mac Compatible Compressor plug (audiounit preferred)

Gerk · 8 · 5384

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Well the time came and I finally gave up my UAD1 card ... my new workstation hardware required updating to PCI Express and UAD says that their cards have "issues" on my hardware.  This is the 3rd piece of mac hardware they have had "issues" with in 2 years and I decided to pull the plug on them so to speak, but that leaves me without my absolute fav all-time compressor plugin (which I used everywhere)... the LA2A

Can anyone give me any pointers to a reasonably priced replacement plugin that is a good all purpose compressor?  I think I have most of my other bases covered for replacement plugins, but I haven't found anything that great in the compressor area yet.

Also as I said, I prefer that it is available in Audio Unit format (Digital Performer's preferred type of plugin, VST's require jumping through hoops to use).

Mark

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Can anyone give me any pointers to a reasonably priced replacement plugin that is a good all purpose compressor?  I think I have most of my other bases covered for replacement plugins, but I haven't found anything that great in the compressor area yet.

Mark

How much is reasonable ?

I really like the Waves API 2500 and V Series Compressors, I think they come AU format but they are a little pricey.

The URS Compressors are good too and maybe not as expensive.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Reasonable is the least I have to pay to get something decent :)  I'll check out those options, I've heard good things about the URS now that you mention them.

Thanks CD

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Hey guys,
    The two I'd have to recommend are Channel Strip by Metric Halo and Compressor Bank by McDSP.  Those two get a lot of use in sessions here in Nashville.  Also, a huge second to Waves on this one.  The API and SSL stuff is out of control...  Hard to go wrong with any of those. 

It is a damn shame about UA taking a crap on everyone.  I get a lot of calls from guys who can't believe their new hardware renders the UA stuff useless.  Such a shame because it sounds incredible.  It's a downside of computer recording I guess.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
thanks meek, great info to know.

I'm still on the fence on this one ... apparently UA got the issues worked out with my hardware and I'm seriously tempted to spend the $$ _again_ on their hardware.  I have tried a couple of things at buddies studios, etc that they swear by for compressors, but nothing sounds like the UAD1 LA2A plug ... nothing even comes close.  :(

Just need to wait a little longer for budget to pull the trigger on this one, the new house is sucking up my budget and time lately, go figure!  My board is still out for repairs as well so I haven't been doing anything serious -- but once it gets back in my hands I'll make my decision and probably end up shelling out for the UAD1e unit :/

Mark

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Just did some more research, think I'm going to give the Metric Halo channelstrip a shot.  It looks pretty useful for more than just comp stuff too, a decent EQ is always welcome :)  I have 8 cores in the new beast and 8G of ram, I might as well use them ;)  It's also cheaper than getting back in the UAD game .. and honestly the only thing i really really miss is the LA2A ... so at half the price I'll go the metric halo route this time -- they have a free demo so I'll give it a whirl once my gear is back and rocking.

Thanks again meek.

Mark

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Sweet

Let us know how it sounds
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Hey man, no problem.  I hope you like it!  There was a period a few years ago when Pro Tools did a software upgrade that rendered channelstrip unstable for several months, and a lot of my clients were freaking out like "oh my god, what the hell am I going to use now?!?"  That's all fixed now, but it speaks pretty highly of a plugin when guys who have virtually every plug in out there lose just one and feel that way! 

Seriously though, let me know what you think. 

-Marc