Musicians Collaboration Studio

Take the Staircase Test

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I found this whilst reading some article on acoustic treatment.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/acousticsaudio.htm

Listen to the MP3 on headphones and the notes sound very even......now listen to it over your monitors and see which notes suddenly jump out or go quiet....that's the sound waves bouncing around your room and either cancelling each other out or reinforcing each other.

On my system the 19th , 20th and 21st notes seem to be the problem area...I'll have to work out which frequency they relate to so I can look into treating it.

Give it a try and let us know what you find in your own studio......oh and be careful some of the notes are very deep, and my windows were shaking   >:D

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Weeehehehehe... man, my setup sucks big time :P  I had a lot of issues round the middle, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20somethings, all very loud. :P  None overly quiet though. But if you saw the shape of my room, you'd see why I have massive issues  ::)

Dan.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Weeehehehehe... man, my setup sucks big time :P  I had a lot of issues round the middle, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20somethings, all very loud. :P  None overly quiet though. But if you saw the shape of my room, you'd see why I have massive issues  ::)

Dan.

I had one note that was really quiet...it's quite surprising when you listen ot it on headphones.  My room is just the end of my garage with no acoustic treatment.

CD

Offline DoozerDan

Well, check out my last post in this thread http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?topic=1138.0  I drew a rough diagram of my room shape. It explains why I would have a few issues :P

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Well, check out my last post in this thread http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?topic=1138.0  I drew a rough diagram of my room shape. It explains why I would have a few issues :P

Yeah...that's not good !

Offline DoozerDan

Don't I know it... but I don't really have a huge deal of choice in the matter, that is my bedroom, and the only place I can stick my studio at the moment, so for now, I'll have to mix with cans (not such a bad thing, as I don't really have monitors) or just stay away from mixing, also probably not such a bad thing :P

Dan.

Offline Blades

I've got a little variance here on a few of the notes, but I already pretty much know where my major issues are.  I'm actually breaking a FEW rules here in that I'm in a corner AND I use a sub.  I have a somewhat treated room with some traps that I got from ATS Acoustics (great company for them BTW, realatively inexpensive and as effective as anything else made from these materials, I'd imagine - I think for a corner and 4 flat wall traps, all 2' x 4' by 2" deep, except the corner one, which is 4" deep, they were about $350 or so).  Anyway, I used the tests from Ethan Winer's real traps site and between listening and running them back through a mic at the listening position and recording into a track in Sonar, I am able to hear and see where some of my low frequency issues are.

Here's the "graph" from within Sonar, showing the frequency "map" if you will - this covers from, I think, 20hz -> 300hz.  You can see the bump in there around 125hz, if I remember right and some weakness below that, in the 40-60hz range,, again, if I remember right.  But overall, considering how bad it was prior to treatment, this is great - and things sound good in here to me.  Also, the maximum difference is somewhere around 8db, if I remember, and in most places is around 3-5db.  Not perfect, but at least not a complete wreck.  I stopped looking at it and just started playing again  ::)

Offline TallPaul

• Super Hero
    • Tall Paul And Friends
Mine starts getting slightly louder at the C# around 16 seconds in via my monitors. Not quite so noticeable on my headphones. Interesting.

Is the sound pressure supposed to be constant across this whole MP3? Has it already been 'normalized' for that?

CD, I'd suggest changing the title of the post to something like "Improving Room Acoustics" or something like that! :-)

Paul
Songwriter, lyricist, vocalist, guitarist... pretty much in that order! :-)

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Cool test. 8) I seem to loose a bit in the low-mid range. Everything else seems pretty even. I'll have to watch my low mids as I may compensate when mixing. Add too much in the mix.  ???

Dave

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Mine starts getting slightly louder at the C# around 16 seconds in via my monitors. Not quite so noticeable on my headphones. Interesting.

Is the sound pressure supposed to be constant across this whole MP3? Has it already been 'normalized' for that?

CD, I'd suggest changing the title of the post to something like "Improving Room Acoustics" or something like that! :-)

Paul

Sound level should be the same all the way across.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
Wow! My space must suck. It got very loud in the middle. I'm in a 20 x 20 space but my computer and monitors are in a corner and I really can't move it anywhere else.
 Hmm...

AJ

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Wow! My space must suck. It got very loud in the middle. I'm in a 20 x 20 space but my computer and monitors are in a corner and I really can't move it anywhere else.
 Hmm...

AJ

You need to treat the room , like most of us.  The lound notes will be standing waves building up.  As a cheap test you can try putting rolled up duvets in the corners , and hanging them off the walls, see if you can improve it.

Paul

It should sound flat on headphones as they won't be affected by the acoustics if your room....the note velocity is constant through the file.

We could do with a chart of which note is which and what frequency they relate to.

CD

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Considering the ridiculous space I'm using at the moment mine's not too bad. I have a peak around 125Hz but the rest is fairly even. The room has no acccoustic treatment at all and changes from day to day depending on what my wife decides to store in here ;D. And I am far too close to the corner for comfort.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Are you actually doing a mix in your Avatar photo ?  I can imagine you're just reaching down to tweak a fader  ;D

CD

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
Are you actually doing a mix in your Avatar photo ?  I can imagine you're just reaching down to tweak a fader  ;D

CD

Actually I was trying to embarass my wife pretending to be a drunk outside the doctor's office. She just called me a dickhead and took the picture ;D ;D