Musicians Collaboration Studio

Audition Process

Basil · 8 · 5052

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Is the correct order for the audition process?

1. Rhythm Guitar
2. Lead Guitar
3. Vocals
4. Drums
5. Bass
6. Keyboard

Thanks for any insight on how this process works
Basil

Offline Casia - lyricist

• Super Hero
  • By Working Together We Can Create The Impossible
    • Casia Productions
Hi:

Don't forget about the lyrics!!  Sometimes they come first so a bedtrack can be created around them.  If the music is created first, I guess the lyrics would be at the same times as the vocals. Just my two cents  :).  Then of course, mixing would be the last phase.  What is the complete, IDEAL process, for ease by everyone?

Would it be this:

Phase I
1.  Bedtrack
2.  lyrics
3.  drums
4.  vocals
Phase II
5.  Rhythm Guitar
6.  Lead Guitar
7.  Bass
8.  Keyboard
9.  Harmonies / background extra's
10. Mixing

Later...Casia
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:57:59 AM by Casia - lyricist »
Casia Productions:
ALBUM:A NOT Ordinary Christmas-2010
ALBUM:idream -2011
ALBUM:Trevor&Roger's 13 Stygian Tales - 2011

World Festival Universong showcase July 2012, Canary Islands, Spain - Victoria Linskaya 
http://www.reverbnation.com/casia

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Basil. There's no real order to auditioning or writing music. Each individual will approach things differently and will usually request a particular instrument, voice, lyrics or all. You can write a tune from vocals only or from a bassline or from a drumbeat or whatever. Doesn't matter. That being said I personaly have a fairly consistent way of writing.

First I like to create a good bedtrack which includes a steady drumbeat/loop, rhythm guitars and bass. That's the meat of the song.

Next would be to find lyrics and vocals. I like to get that in before keys or lead guitar which I see as the 'filler'. It helps to have vocals in so the lead and keys have a vocal melody to follow. They can play around the vocals in harmony with the lead voice as well as 'filling' the space between. I may throw a temporary lead in the song to show 'do not sing here, this will be the solo spot'.

Once the vocals are in then it's a decision of what extra instruments do you want to add. More vocals (backings and harmonies). Lead guitar. Piano & Organ. Other instruments such a Cello etc.

At any point I may put up a drumless and a bassless to replace my original bedtrack. Drum & bass 'generally' follow the drive of the music and not so much the vocals.

Vocals to me are the lead instrument. The bass, drums, guitars and keys shouldn't walk over the vocalist.

So basically 3 major steps.

A good rhythm bedtrack
Lead vocals
Then the filler. Backing vocals, more guitars, keys

Again you can really start with any instrument or voice. I've written lots of songs from piano first. But usually vocals are the middle step. I need those in to see what else the song needs.  :)

Just my general rule of thumb.

Dave

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Step 1 ..... Write Song

Step 3....... Profit
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Being a bass player the only comment I can make is that I would typically always prefer to track the bass after the final drums are in place.

Mark

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
I'm in agreement with Dave AND Mark, bassists usually need to track on top of the drums, and the drummer needs to understand the mood of the song (with vox in place) and down the line getting to the first initial track (drum loop/programmed drums). It also depends on what you're able to pull off initially as well instrumentally...guys like Dave or Steffen can essentially write and record virtually everything from the get go, and others just expand on it for the final touches...it's really not a "one size fits all" scenario :)
Marc

Offline Basil

• http://www.bandmix.com/mike-basil/
Good stuff  :)

I know there's no written rules, was just wondering the logical order people use.

Thanks for sharing
Basil

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
If I am going to audition drummers, and i have the arrangement done, a good guitar or piano to a solid click is where I start. I write to a loop and maybe add bass for the "Idea" bed track, but like to include a drumless with a click right off the bat.

Most times, it is better for everyone to track to the real drums. It makes for a tighter recording.

Once I get the drums, it's fill in the blanks time.

Of course sometimes I put so much time into the original bed track, that I don't want to re-do everything and leave it as is. I'm lazy.  8)

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com