Musicians Collaboration Studio

Misinvestments

ootle · 9 · 7338

Offline ootle

• ootlesound
as the title states: name your misinvestments.

Ootle
de antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
I'll own up to it first.....

Antares AVP1 Vocal Processor (rack mounted)

Don't get me wrong. It's an excellent unit.. Mine was more of a case of bad timing... I invested in the rack mounted unit (at a hefty cost) around the time many of it's functions became ready available from other hard and software that I was already using and upgrading to... And, It began quickly to gather dust....  :(

My only saving grace is that the resale value was good enough for me to get most of my money back, by selling it on eBay... It was after all, still like new...

Now, it's research, research, research before jumping off the deep end...
BW@

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
One time, at band camp, I bought all this stuff. And although I used it at the time, soon it became space users.

Rock Module
Zoom  (The wedge thing)
hafler power amp
dod delay
sansamp G2
crate V1512 (nice amp, but an impulse buy)
Me 5
digitech S200

List goes on and on. G.A.S. for sure. about 20 guitars more than I need.

See, I was also hopelessly addicted to ebay.

Of course, I work for United Airlines...Shall we go down that path? I think not.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Cary

Joe Meek MC2 compressor.  Still don't use it much.

Drums on Demand.  Not saying they're bad, but I hate drum loops.  It was an impluse buy.
Cary

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
A behringer 4 band stereo parametric Tube EQ.  It's a piece of junk, but it looks kinda neat and takes up a couple unused rack spaces.

An M-Audio Delta 1010 card.  After extensive consultation with M-Audio tech support as to why it couldn't sync with my other digital gear they informed me that it's "normal" to not be able to have both digital inputs and outputs plugged in at the same time, that it was a "known problem" with sync.  Oh, and that it also didn't support my powermac G5 (it wouldn't detect when plugged in), and even though they advertised that it did and it was < 3 weeks old that they couldn't "in good faith" replace it and they refsued to let me return it.  Thankfully I have a great relationship with my local music store where I bought it, who happily gave me a full refund on it and stopped carrying those particular models.

A pair of Aphex large diaphragm condensor mics.  They were super cheap, and they sound it.  They are barely adequate for overhead mics on my kit.

Cubase SX 1.  It was so buggy with my hardware at the time that it could barely run for more than 5 minutes without locking my machine hard, even though it was supposed to have supported my hardware (Yamaha DSP factory cards).  Again steinberg's solution was to upgrade, at my expense, to the new version of Cubase which "shoudl work out the problems" and they refused to refund me.  Once again my local music store gave me a full refund (at their expense as they couldn't return it either).  I then purchased a full MOTU rig, hardware and software, and haven't looked back.  I used Nuendo for 4+ years with the same hardware, which they stated they would offer "full support" for... only to find out 3 years later when they never finished the support that they decided to drop support for it.  I had bug tickets in their system that were so old they got archived and deleted, THREE TIMES.

Mark

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
At the risk of gaining the ire of every bassplayer here....
All 5  Fender basses I've purchased. Utter crap! They really don't know how to make a decent 5. And yes once you play a real bass like a Carvin, Warwick, Tobias etc... theres no contest.
There I said it! :p

The Digitec BP8 is border line. It works but gets a poor usability rating.

ADA MP1. Too much dicking with controls. Knobs are a good thing!

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
The Fenders are not all crap, just most of them.  There is still the odd jem here and there, but you have to look hard to find them ;)

Mark

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
The Fenders are not all crap, just most of them.  There is still the odd jem here and there, but you have to look hard to find them ;)

Mark

Yea I aggree. My brother has a cheapie 4 string Squire that just absolutly kicks ass.  To bad he promised to sell it back to the original owner otherwise it woud be mine I tell you, yes mine. On the other hand, my black 1992 Carvin LB76 6 is so close playing wise to my 2006 Carvin Icon 6 it's scary. It's so cool to be able to jump back and forth between the two for different sounds or when strings get dead. Now thats consistency.