Musicians Collaboration Studio

NINJAM - Very cool online jam client with servers

NickT · 23 · 10637

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Twas fun Jammin' with you to Nick, your not in there at the moment playing, they actully have a drummer in 2051

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Do they actually have real musicians on there now?  I tried it quite a while ago and it was very hit and miss, mostly miss.  Just when we'd find a room with a couple people that could jam some script kiddie would come in an start blaring CD audio into the room mondo distorted, or someone would come in and jsut play horrid sounding guitar over everything.  Spent more time muting people out that anything.

I think they have open source server software setup.  It uses quite a bit of bandwidth, and requires command line access to set it up from what I remember.  It's a good idea (latency with a globally distributed sync) but there's something important to be known about using their servers . . .

in their agreement it states that everything that happens on their servers is "free" in that it becomes Creative Commons licensed and they keep recordings of everything ... so if you're using it to work out arrangements be forewarned that playing it through their setup allows anyone to take it and do what they will with your music!

Mark

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
Gerk,
I really like it. But most people already know this. Yes there are losers. I would put the players in one of 4 categories. Losers, clueless, beginner and advanced. The losers are the ones doing what you said, blasting music and befing offensive. I've seen that once. The Clueless are people with a instrument and a setup but they don't know how to use either. I've seen a fair amount of these but they usually are not offensive. There are a lot of beginners but I'm happy to jam with them as long as they are listening and trying to add something. I would say there about 10 or 25 really good players that are somking and are just an absolute joy to jam with. People like cam and jon on the guitar or wilhelm on the keys to name just a few and there are even some somking bass players there. There also have been a few drummer that have shown up.  I would say about 1/2 the time I get into really cool jams that force me to stretch.

For me I get a lot out of it becuse I'm either doing the groove if there is no other bass players or comping chords if there is.  Either way I get better by playing more. I guess I miss the old days of my Santa Cruz band where there was a big group of musicians of different levels that would get together alot and just flat out jam.  As long as you were contributing in a positive way then it was all good. Then again I'm into instrumental music so for me it;s all about the soloing either backing people up doing it or doing it my self. 

The other point I'd like ot make is that there are a lot beginner guitartists that try to start play their favorite songs and with the lag it just does not work. Even playing a tweleve bar is kinda tricky. But I have found that vamps and simple chord prograssions really work well and the funk thing is king there.  I've also started to work on my walking which I really suck at. True I can do too many changes but I can work on the feel of things.

Using their web page to see who is playing is key. After about 5 min of playing you know if your like the person or not. If there are people just sitting doing nothing then I usually will start a groove. If they are plying somthing I don't like I move to another server.

I publish my music under that same license.  All the collabs I play I give up rights to my basslines, except for my own tunes.  So while yea they could take your nifty hook melody or lyrics they still can only use it for noncommercial works and have to attribute you as the author. Am I missing something here?

By connecting to this server and agreeing to this notice, you agree to the
following:

You agree that all data, sounds, or other works transmitted to this server
are owned and created by you or your licensors, and that you are making these
data, sounds or other works available via the following Creative Commons
License (for more information on this license, see
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ ):

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5

You are free:
    * to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
    * to make derivative works

Under the following conditions:
    Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
    author or licensor.

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may
    distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.

* For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license
      terms of this work.
    * Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the
      copyright holder.

Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Ahh they changed to a more liberal version of the CC license since I frist tried it ... it used to have no comemrcial limitation on it which is what made me cringe.  I'm all for the CC licenses and I also use teh Share-alike version on most of my posted material :)

Mark

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
They archive your jams! Check out this one. Not my best one (I actually suck) but this guy Jon is amazing. I was so diggin on doing that jam pretending to be Gary Willis. :D

http://autosong.ninjam.com/m3u.php/20060804_2101_0614-jon54-BP.m3u
http://autosong.ninjam.com/m3u.php/20060804_2101_0000-jon54-BP-fatigueof.m3u
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:56:26 PM by BassPlayer »

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
BassPlayer. That sounds pretty cool. I may have to check this out more. It would be cool to jam with a few people around here.  :D