NINJAM - Very cool online jam client with servers

NickT · 23 · 10638

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Ok...I spent about two hours here jamming with people I don't know.

I installed this tiny client...joined a server and was playing in a couple minutes with 6 people. When you are done, you run a little utility and it puts it all together right in Reaper! I sort of mixed this (it's 3AM!)

http://ninjam.com/

This was fun! I could see us using this. The demo is rough...but it's live...yeah, me hacking on acoustic!  ::)

Same people that make Reaper. Well, Hope you like it!

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
They have OSX and XP clients, so that's cool. It's based on introducing latency (I know...sounds strange) But it works. Maybe not great for working up arrangements...of course unless you can set up Skype for realtime speach.....hmmmmmm. Have to think about that.

Either way...It was fun!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
OMG I had soooooo much fun jammin with this keyboard player it was great! Thanks so much Nick for the tip. Can we have our own MC server? Please Please Please!

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
OMG I had soooooo much fun jammin with this keyboard player it was great! Thanks so much Nick for the tip. Can we have our own MC server? Please Please Please!

Glad you like it Dave!

I had a blast last night. I am looking into server space for that. Have to find out about the bandwidth and storage...of course there are a few members with standalone servers here! :)

I am on it!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

How has servers? I can see with skype this would be a great way to work out parts and compose.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I read a thread someplace where they were doing that...Skype and Ninjam.

Makes me go Crossed eyed when I think how they do it.  :D

If the bandwidth is not unreal...I bet I could host it somewhere.

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

I've been hit or miss on this. There are some people there that like to come on the channel and just step on toes and not really want to start anything but hear their own riffs. I have to say though, I had some great jams there. The nature of the software really lends it self to groove oriented stuff which I dig on.  If you ever get a chance to play with a keyboard player Will jump at it.  Last night I was jamming with this guy Cam who even with a bandaid on his finger was able to pull of some amazing riffs. I could just tell by the way he played he was a Scott Henderson fan too and we hit it off. Can't wait to have him contribute tracks.  I turned him on to MC and he'll be spreading the word to the NINJAM folks about us.

As to the server I can see it would be really helpfull to have some setup so people can jump in an thash out ideas. I know it would save a lot time if the other person was online.  Also you might not need skype. I was jamming with a vocalist and she had no problem communicating so maybe adding a 2nd mike channel would be a good idea.

Just some thoughts. Like MC, NINJAM have really got me back into music.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Hey Dave,

I was having timing issues last night. I could sync up with you, but was having a hard time with Dan and the drums machine. The signal would "skip".

When just Pat and I were jamming, We would sync fine, then would lose it after a while.

I think it has something to do with BPM.

It was fun seeing you in there last night. Did you mix any of the jam with the vocalist? Would love to hear that.

Nick

NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

Sorry you had the timming issues. I've not had man dropouts myselft.

The vocalist was just scatting on somegrooves I was doing but it was easier to communicate with her than typing.

Does it save all your jams. I hope it did because Cam was just rippin it up last night.
How do you get your jam data?

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Sorry you had the timming issues. I've not had man dropouts myselft.

The vocalist was just scatting on somegrooves I was doing but it was easier to communicate with her than typing.

Does it save all your jams. I hope it did because Cam was just rippin it up last night.
How do you get your jam data?

Run cliplogcvt.exe which is included with NINJAM from the command prompt..
for example, the thing that tends to work with the most things is:

Code:
cliplogcvt.exe -concat -decode -insertsilence 9999 <path to jam>
Which will produce a EDL .txt file (which Reaper and Vegas will open) a .lof file (which Audacity will open) (both of which have the start times for the wavs), and .wav files in concat\ in the jam directory.

Hope this helps!

-Justin

It saves it in the ninjam folder in programs. You have to hit the site, but they give you an exe to run from the cmd line with a couple of switches. It will compile to txt file. you can then drop that into reaper and all the tracks will build. bepndin on how long the session is it couldatake a little while to render the wavs.

Hope tha works...It did for me
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline BassPlayer

you can then drop that into reaper and all the tracks will build

An thats done how? I tried insert media and just opening it.

I guess I should RTFM....

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I just drag and droped the txt file into an open Reaper instance.
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Hey Dave,

I was having timing issues last night. I could sync up with you, but was having a hard time with Dan and the drums machine. The signal would "skip".

When just Pat and I were jamming, We would sync fine, then would lose it after a while.

I think it has something to do with BPM.

It was fun seeing you in there last night. Did you mix any of the jam with the vocalist? Would love to hear that.

Nick

Were you trying to stay with the metranome well I had the drums going?  If so than that would explain why you couldn't stay sinced up to me, the drums on my distortion pedals don't actully have the bpm so I have to set it up my ear, but I didn't realise that while we were playing last... whenever... early afternoon for me, but anyway it was fun playig some of you guys yesterday.

So youy have to hae Reaper to be able to get your music?  If so I can't get any of the jams that I've done due to have a Mac. and Reaper being a PC program.  Ohh well.

Cheers Daniel

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
No Dan,

It wasn't the metronome. But I believe the lag time is set by the bpm we choose. I turned down the metronome.

The drums and everything were fine, Then there would be a dropout and I had to stop to catch back up.

It was fun jammin' Dan!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com