Musicians Collaboration Studio

EzDrummer (Drum Sampler) start setting suggestions form around the net.

NickT · 4 · 5171

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Set up EZD to output to multiple tracks. I think that it should give you seven tracks. First of all rout the top snare and the bottom snare to their own bus. Place a compressor in the FX bin of the snare bus and set the attack to 30 - 40 ms. Set the release at 125 ms for starters. (This will have to be adjusted depending on how fast the notes are coming). Set a moderate to light compression ratio. (Maybe 3:1) Now as the track is playing start the threshold at 0 db and start decreasing it till you start to hear the snare pop. Adjust the compression ratio and the threshold to get the amount of pop you want. Do the same for kick but you won't have to send it to it's own bus. Drop the Compressor in the Kick FX bin.

I just ran the whole drum mix (after setting up the snare and kick like I mentioned before) through the Voxengo Marquis Compressor. There's a Drum preset there called Drum Bus -SSSl Punch. It'll get you pretty close to where you want to be.

I ended up with a 9.4:1 ratio, 19.9ms attack, 625 ms decay and a threshold of -24 db on the snare. I also started rolling off the lows at 250 hz and put a bump at 2k on the snare bus. The track really started to pop then.

For creativity's sake guys, futz with the sound a bit and do your own thing. If we wanted carbon copies of everything we can listen to the radio.

These are good starting points for all the sampler players out right now.

Enjoy,

NickT

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline wickerman

Thanks for this Nick - I've been thinking about getting EZDrummer anyway. The proggie looks awesome!

Geoff
Up the Irons!!!

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
I just got it a week or two ago, and I am in love with it.

It has a great live room feel and the included beats feel great.  I liked it so much I replaced the drums on one of my tunes AFTER I sent the seps to Nick to be mixed.  I just got him the new drums and am patiently awaiting his mix. 

He is my current mix, utilizing EzDrummer.

http://www.peteclimie.com/cc/brandnewday/bnd-mix-8-10-06-b.mp3

As a non-drummer. it will definately be a great tool during the writing process.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:49:20 PM by Sternen »
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline wickerman

Wow - I think those drums sound really great. Seems like the drag and drop feature is pretty easy to work with...  ???  I see that Groove Monkee has some Metal samples that are built specifically for EZD - excellent...

Make that 2 non-drummers!!!    ;D
Up the Irons!!!