SSL

ootle · 6 · 4661

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Yeah...I use this on the room mics through a bus. I then feed it mack into the mix a little at a time until I just notice it.

It is a strange comp though.

Nick
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline ootle

• ootlesound
I use it on live recorded snare and kick, as well as the DFH superior samples. DOD (which I got recently) doesn't need it and sounds too 'harsh' with this one. I love it, strange as it is......
de antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig

Offline Cary

Do you find it's a CPU hog?  It doesn't seem to play too nice with N-track.
Cary

dogbizkits

Just given this a run-through on Cubase SX.

It doesn't appear to be any more a CPU hog than any Waves plugins - and they tend to have minimal CPU requirements.

Very simple to use and the input / output is a breeze to setup. This plugin has its own character and I can see why its been used on drum tracks based on the kind of compression it provides. The main "More / Less" dial provides a more "grainy" compression the harder you push it. You'll notice this particularly well on a vocal track that's been recorded with a low quality condensor mike. This could be used to great effect if you're after the "telephone" sound. Still on vocals......the harder you push it, the more sibilance you'll get - and breath noises will become more apparant. This is particularly true on a vocal track recorded with a high quality mike, but you'd probably be better going for a channel strip plugin with a de-esser. Electric guitars..... not quite a Teletronix leveling amplifier - but similar functionality. It's quite a useable tool that can clamp electric bass - not UAD quality by any means, but it's well worth having a play with. I'll come back with some commentary on drum tracks shortly. These were just a few reasonably quick tests... so just my 2 cents on a freebie that I think is worth investigating. Hope the above commentary helps.

Rab  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:11:39 PM by dogbizkits »

Offline Cary

I got this plug when it first showed up on the scene a while back.  The frequency response is definitely not flat by any stretch of the imagination.  I tried it on drum overheads and even there, I was less than impressed.  I couldn't imagine trying to use in on a vocal, unless you were going for that low fi sound.  It definitely has character, no doubt.  As Nick described, it could have it's uses.  With the severe low end cut, I don't think it sounds good with bass guitar.  YMMV
As I mentioned before, this plug doesn't do too well with N-track 3.x  It works fine with Samplitude.  Apparently, it's an N-track issue.  What else is new?   :)
Cary