Musicians Collaboration Studio

Smile (Holger/Roger/Andy/Tricia/Mr & Mrs. Cosmic Dolphin)

AndyG6508 · 84 · 28967

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music

The success of this song is amazing, Isn't it?

cheers
Holger

It's obviously all due to the added shaker ;)

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons

The success of this song is amazing, Isn't it?

cheers
Holger

It's obviously all due to the added shaker ;)

CD

Mark,

Oh absolutely!! We all know that behind every hit record lies a woman's hand  :D. Nothing like a little salt and pepper to spice things up!!

Hows the boy doing?
Cheers
Andy

Offline soulfrontier

• Super Hero
    • soulfrontier online
yes, of course. I knew it from the start and I said it before. Without that incredible shaker this song would be only half that good!  ;)

We have two very talented girls in our band!  :)

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Hi Everyone,

Heres another accolade from GB:

Track of the Day on 27May2009 in Pop Rock

Andy

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Love this tune. Holger's vocals are really great on this. It seems to have a few different genres happening. Country/Pop? Love it anyways. NICE!! guitars.  8)

Dave

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Love this tune. Holger's vocals are really great on this. It seems to have a few different genres happening. Country/Pop? Love it anyways. NICE!! guitars.  8)

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I think its a mix of mama + papas + dead + chet atkins + beatles perhaps?

Everyone really pulled in a great performance, and I couldnt ask for a nicer bunch of collaborators to work with!!

Andy

Offline peterk1

Just wanted to add another compliment for this one since it looks like it almost never saw the light of day.

You know when the double-tracked lead vocals come in near the beginning, I can completely convince myself that it's a new Beatles tune with John singing. This is more magical for me than the Beatle's own Free As a Bird was. I sent this one around the office and everyone loved it.

And did anyone comment on what Tricia did near the end? Four completely different harmonies for the same background vocal line. Very nice, I rarely hear background vocals infuse so much personality into a tune.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I liked this song from the moment I heard it , and they were kind enough to let me mix it.....I also thought it had a Beatles vibe  , and I actually used ' What goes on ' as my reference track during the mix.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline peterk1

Nah it's you. I didn't mean 4 harmonies at the exact same point in time. I meant that each time the line came around, you did something different to it. You're turning into a jazz musician with this one.

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
Oh!  ;D That's what you mean.  ;)  I can't help it. I am bad at remembering what I sang for previous choruses in the same song!! :D I just wing it... ;D

My father was a jazz musician.... he made us sing Four Freshmen harmonies, lol

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Just wanted to add another compliment for this one since it looks like it almost never saw the light of day.

You know when the double-tracked lead vocals come in near the beginning, I can completely convince myself that it's a new Beatles tune with John singing. This is more magical for me than the Beatle's own Free As a Bird was. I sent this one around the office and everyone loved it.

And did anyone comment on what Tricia did near the end? Four completely different harmonies for the same background vocal line. Very nice, I rarely hear background vocals infuse so much personality into a tune.

Peter,

Fancy you digging this song up from the mists of time....thanks so much for the very kind words.

This one was a real collab in every sense of the term - everyone contributed original ideas to the song. Holger intepreted the vocal superbly, Tricia added a heady mix of background harmonies, Roger came up with cool Harrison/Atkins guitar lines, and Mark (CD) did a stellar job of organizing us and coming up with a exquisite 'vintage' mix (check out the wispy/sizzle effect of the vocals at places).

I will always retain fond memories of this one.

Cheers
Andy

PS - What Goes On - that reminds me -- at one point Mark threatened to mix all the guitars on the left and the vocals and drums on the right  ;D.....the Beatles catalogue needs remixing not remastering- specially for ipod listening!!!

Offline riggorog

• Super Hero
    • Reverbnation
This is a great tune guys. It came up on my iPod recently and remembered how much fun it was to play. I LOVE the guitar tones I got. I use that patch a lot on my Tonelab as a starting point for new sounds. Everybody did a great job! Thanks for pulling this out of your vault Andy. One of my faves :)

Roger

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
This is a great tune guys. It came up on my iPod recently and remembered how much fun it was to play. I LOVE the guitar tones I got. I use that patch a lot on my Tonelab as a starting point for new sounds. Everybody did a great job! Thanks for pulling this out of your vault Andy. One of my faves :)

Roger

Thanks Roger, it was a pleasure to have on board (as always!!) and your guitar tone and work was pure killer!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline soulfrontier

• Super Hero
    • soulfrontier online

wow! :)
thx Peter for the compliments, I'm glad to see that this one is not forgotten here!!!

I love "smile", its one of my alltime favourites. Thank you Andy for letting me be a part of it!

Yes everybody did a great job. Tricias bv lines are killer also Rogers guitar and all the other too.

I have a feeling that there will be more stuff from this gang  ;)

thx again!
Holger
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:43:39 PM by soulfrontier »