Musicians Collaboration Studio

A Woman's Work (Stoney/Andy/Roger/Ray/J)

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
Hey MCS,

I take great pleasure in posting a collaboration generated out of an unusually sad set of lyrics from our Stoney.

I was lucky to have a great group of fellow musos on this one, and each of them put in absolutely stunning performances.

There were loads of musical highlights for me - Roger's wrenching Gilmour-esque solo, Ray's heartfelt vocals, J's tasteful keys knitting the sound together, and Stoney's thundering kit to the fore as well.

A lot of hard work was put in by everyone, not least Stoney!!! but it all was done with great spirit and camaraderie. For me, it was a very enjoyable song to do.

Stoney, many thanks for an exceptional job on mixing/mastering, it must have been hell at times to please everyone while wrestling with at least 25 tracks!!

We could have called this "Stoney's Work" instead of!!

The fine lyric also shows that Stoney is not all werewolves, zombies, or madcap Trevor/Roger. The lad has a sensitive side to him!!

Thanks guys, and thank you MCS for the listen.

Andy

Credits:
Ian Burrage (Stonehead)   : Lyric, drums, SFX, mix/master
Ray Sharp (Sharpola)        : Lead and backing vocals
Roger Wilkerson (Riggorog) : Electric guitars including solo
Jay Schankman  (J)          : Keyboards, SFX
Andy Gupta (AndyG6508)   : Composition, bass, acoustic guitars, keys

A Woman's Work (128bpm) - Lyrics: Ian Burrage, Music: Andy Gupta

Fill/Intro: Am figure/D

V1
Am figure                       D
A woman's work is never done
             F        E    F        E
All your friends out having fun
Am  figure                              D
Married young so where's your pride
F              E           F        E
Seventeen now and with a child

V2
      Dm                                Am
The view outside it makes you think
            B                      E
Of life beyond the kitchen sink
          F                              Am
You're finding life an endless grind
                   B            E
Trying not to lose your mind

V3
Romance you find in comic books
It's not as easy as it looks
You can't rely on marriage vows
He's always late where is he now
V4
You've lost your youth and paid the price
A single sided sacrifice
Again you're waiting by the phone
Wondering why you're all alone

Mid
     Fm                  Am
Oh girl you're still a child
                     C                      F
You should be free and running wild
     Fm                    Am
Oh girl cant you see this is the way it has to be
     Fm                     
So mop that floor Scrub the table
C                E           F
Baby's crying in the cradle

Solo

The view outside it makes you think
Of life beyond the kitchen sink
You're finding life an endless grind
Trying not to lose your mind

A woman's work is never done x 4
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:54:43 PM by AndyG6508 »

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
Hey Andy
I have to say a huge thankyou to you for finding such inspiration from my old lyrics I left lying around...your musical interpretation blew me away....Rays vocal shapes and emotional feel are perfect and everyones playing is absolute top notch with J's terrific piano and synths, Rogers fine shimmer, rotary and soaring lead guitars and of course your  solid foundation of bass,guitars and keys.

I'm no mixer and I did find this one quite a challenge to say the least ......erm on the last count there were 45 tracks including all the drum parts , F/X and sub mixes which was making my head spin and the poor old laptop heat up a bit...but having said that I am really pleased with the final result which I hope you all think was worth the effort.

Thank you all for your faith in my lyrics and please don't tell anyone about this sensitive side  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Ian

Offline riggorog

• Super Hero
    • Reverbnation
This is awesome! Great job by all involved and super mix! Thanks for the invite to play on this Andy :) It really turned out nice I think.

Offline j

• Super Hero
Great job everyone! I gotta say first that this is a great mix. Most definitely the days put in on this created a work of which the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Great job Ian. Ray's voice was perfectly chilling on this song. Andy's bass worked perfectly, and I especially like the section before the solo, where your bass made perfect harmonic sense while crawling around through some unexpected changes and landing perfectly with Ians bass/snare accents.       :)

I sound like a bad music critic! Maybe Rolling Stone has a job for me.  :D

Spot on drumming Ian, and great solo Roger, I'm glad to have had the chance to collab with you on this one.

Great song. Ian I'm sorry that you had to sacrifice your woofers..  Sad     hopefully we'll hear your mixes again soon.
wazzzzzaaaap

Offline PVD

• Super Hero

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Stoney,

It was a pleasure working on this one, specially nice to work on one of your lyrics.

45 tracks - wow - you did a fine job of it!

Andy

Hey Andy
I have to say a huge thankyou to you for finding such inspiration from my old lyrics I left lying around...your musical interpretation blew me away....Rays vocal shapes and emotional feel are perfect and everyones playing is absolute top notch with J's terrific piano and synths, Rogers fine shimmer, rotary and soaring lead guitars and of course your  solid foundation of bass,guitars and keys.

I'm no mixer and I did find this one quite a challenge to say the least ......erm on the last count there were 45 tracks including all the drum parts , F/X and sub mixes which was making my head spin and the poor old laptop heat up a bit...but having said that I am really pleased with the final result which I hope you all think was worth the effort.

Thank you all for your faith in my lyrics and please don't tell anyone about this sensitive side  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Ian

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Roger,

It's always cool working with you. Thanks for the wonderful array of guitar tracks (tremelo, lesie) and that great solo!

Look forward to the next one!
Andy

This is awesome! Great job by all involved and super mix! Thanks for the invite to play on this Andy :) It really turned out nice I think.

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Thanks J, your keys parts are pretty special too!

Loved your review  :) - you cant go wrong with lines like "bass made perfect harmonic sense while crawling around through some unexpected changes and landing perfectly with Ians bass/snare accents" - you are a natural ;D

Cheers
Andy

Great job everyone! I gotta say first that this is a great mix. Most definitely the days put in on this created a work of which the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Great job Ian. Ray's voice was perfectly chilling on this song. Andy's bass worked perfectly, and I especially like the section before the solo, where your bass made perfect harmonic sense while crawling around through some unexpected changes and landing perfectly with Ians bass/snare accents.       :)

I sound like a bad music critic! Maybe Rolling Stone has a job for me.  :D

Spot on drumming Ian, and great solo Roger, I'm glad to have had the chance to collab with you on this one.

Great song. Ian I'm sorry that you had to sacrifice your woofers..  Sad     hopefully we'll hear your mixes again soon.

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Wow... what a fantastic track, right through from start to end... brilliant arrangement and audio production, with awesome performances from everyone... simply superb. Very well done to all involved.

Mike
"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" Neil Peart

My dad.. "Turn that Banjo down!!"

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Hey Mike,

Coming from you its a huge compliment. Many thanks!!

Yeah, the guys put in stellar performances!.

Andy

Wow... what a fantastic track, right through from start to end... brilliant arrangement and audio production, with awesome performances from everyone... simply superb. Very well done to all involved.

Mike

Offline snowdoguk

• Super Hero
  • Twang Twang Twang
    • Soundcloud
Wow thanks Mike .......the fiver is in the post  ;D

I thought we agreed a tenner  :( >:( ;D 
"A spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" Neil Peart

My dad.. "Turn that Banjo down!!"

Offline Stoney

• Super Hero
  • Just Me Makin Noises
    • The Music of Stonehead
Wow thanks Mike .......the fiver is in the post  ;D

I thought we agreed a tenner  :( >:( ;D 

Sorry Mike ...Mates Rates and times are tough.....and you forgot the part about the band being gods playing in the halls of Valhalla...just a small point I know  ;D ;D

Offline Casia - lyricist

• Super Hero
  • By Working Together We Can Create The Impossible
    • Casia Productions
I LOVED these lyrics from the beginning Stoney!  This is a WONDERFUL song and fantastic vocals from Ray as always.  It has a beatles feel to this well which you can't go wrong with.  I gotta put this on my Ipod.

Casia  :) :)
Casia Productions:
ALBUM:A NOT Ordinary Christmas-2010
ALBUM:idream -2011
ALBUM:Trevor&Roger's 13 Stygian Tales - 2011

World Festival Universong showcase July 2012, Canary Islands, Spain - Victoria Linskaya 
http://www.reverbnation.com/casia