Musicians Collaboration Studio

Best reverb for vocals?

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Hey guys. Can anyone recommend a good reverb for vocals. I'm not happy with my options with Waves. Everything sounds cold.  :P  There must be a great reverb out there for vocals?  ???

Dave

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
 Dave, if you don't like waves, I'd recomend you not to use reverb 'cause mebbe you don't like reverb lol. Now seriously, you find waves reverbs not good? Damn, I love 'em.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Nope. Not diggin the waves reverb. Lots of options but I just can't find anything I'm happy with. I like to use delay on vocals. I like reverb as well. I dunno. I always have problems with mixing vocals. Instuments are not a problem like I have with vocals.  :(

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
Hey Dave, maybe you just need to warm the sound up a bit after the Waves reverb. I find they kinda sterilize the vox a bit. Slap a tube warmer on it, maybe it will help.

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Try some long pre-delay, it will still give you that delay sort of feel -- in that it doesn't muddy up the original signal as much and that it takes a bit of time before it kicks is so you still hear most of the definition of the vocal track.  Also ducking works well with verb + vocals (that's a whole further discussion)

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Which Waves ones do you have Dave ?  I've always liked them and they're easy to edit. Are you using them as a send effect on a seperate buss ?  Or are you inserting them on the individual track.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Platinium I believe. The full meal deal. I usually do individual tracks and may buss a couple effects on the very end. I prefer to do individual tracks as I seem to have better control that way. If I use a reverb I often use the same on guitars, drums etc. to keep it glued together. Not always. I'm slowly getting used to doing vocals. There's a warmth that I'm looking for that I can't seem to get. More of an analog sound?  ??? I also tend to double up vocals a lot. I'll use one with one set of eq's, delay, etc and the other I'll take into a different direction with eq's, etc. and layer them making one the main vocal and the second much lower in db to enhance the main vocal. Seems to work pretty good for me. Still I'm looking for that magic warmth. The Vintage Warmer is pretty good. I thought maybe a reverb would have something like that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:43:13 PM by Studioplayer »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Hmmm...I'm not sure what to suggest...have you any examples of the warm reverb sound you're looking for ?

Alot of well known mixers I've read about use an Emulation of an EMT plate in rock music...I always set up a seperate send and often find I need to eq the reverb return , taking out some low end and some of the top.  I wouldn't automatically double up the vocals unless it's a different take. Easier to get a good vocal sound if you only have to think about one track.

Have you tried any of the free convolution based reverbs like SIR ? Maybe that'll have an impulse of something that's doing what you want ?

CD

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
I recently bought IK Multimedia CSR (Classic Studio Reverb), and more recently the Lexicon PCM Native bundle.

NOTHING beats the latter IMO. It sounds exactly like the real thing and is perfect for vocals ... and everything else. :)

CSR is great too, but not quite as dense and smooth as the Lexicon sound. The CSR plate reverbs are still pretty nice on vocals IMO, and also very useful for drums. And MUCH cheaper than the Lexicon bundle. :)

Regards,
  Steffen
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I have the lexicon PCm Native and it sounds great....I also like the Sonnox reverb too...horses for courses.

CD

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
I have a bunch of Lexicon PCM IR's that I use that are awesome too.

Offline meekofnature

• Musician, Engineer, Producer, Tech
Have you checked out acoustics.net?   It's a load of impulse responses for Waves IR-L.  I think they sampled the Lexicon 480 (the really old school top of the line model) and a few other hardware units, as well as a slew of new acoustical spaces.   I heard a new hardware reverb the other day...the bricasti.   Holy crap... that thing is pretty amazing.   Only thing I've heard that hangs with is is Altiverb (my fav convolution reverb), and it now runs on PC's as well.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:30:47 AM by meekofnature »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I've found the best vocal reverb...

It's called a delay  ;D  ;D  ;D