Musicians Collaboration Studio

64 Bit OS

Paulo · 8 · 6041

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
For the first time I'm setting up a computer with a 64 bit OS, been working with windows XP 32 bit all this time and works just fine. I bought a new desktop with a power full processor and what made switch to 64 is just to be able to have all the available ram. XP 32, is only able to deal with 3Gb ram, no matter how much you have installed.

Now the question is. Even with a 64 bit OS, if we have 32 bit apllications, are those apllication able to take advantage of the whole ram or not? Is it up to the OS or not?

Thanks.
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
No, 32 bit means a physical address space of 4 GB at most. No 32 bit application can address more than that (2^32 = 4294967296 = 4 GB).

Regards,
  Steffen

Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Old thread but Paulo I wanted to ask how you're getting on - did you get your LiquidMix working in with 64bit O/s/because focusrite say it's not compatible.

I just upgraded my PC so I have Windows 7 now and have installed the 64bit version of Sonar, I think I have it ALL working now...but it's been a bit of a devil to get everything switched over and working correctly.

I'm pretty good on this type of thing but even I was stumped several times but eventually came across the fixes on various forums.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Hi Mark,
I installed it and I stll have an imgae but, went back. Not only Liquid Mix but also other stuff that I use at did not work. I'm not going to ugrade all my software, it cost a fortune, XP 32, still works forme, the only issue is ram anyways, 3 GB is not bad.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I don't blame you.  I think I have everything working now though....time will tell  :o

The bad thing is the LiquidMix won't be officially supported...at least the plugin manufacturers are releasing 64bit versions now.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
It's definitely a pain in the butt to switch over to 64 bit, they should have made it easier considering the 64 bit OS's have been around for years now. I can't live within a 3.8 Gig limit now.

Mick
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
I got it working now, fast and smooth with 24 gb of ram... Ouch, all those huge libraries from Kontakt and Omnisphere are loading now. I couldn't have 3 or 4 huge instruments loaded before and now I can.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:50:18 AM by Paulo »
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline mickbrit55

• Super Hero
I got it working now, fast and smooth with 24 gb of ram... Ouch, all those huge libraries from Kontakt and Omnisphere are loading now. I couldn't have 3 or 4 huge instruments loaded before and now I can.

Good job mate! You'll love it :)

Mick.
Very funny Spok ... now beam down my trousers.
SoundClick : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=816080