Musicians Collaboration Studio

Compressing Rock Guitars

Paulo · 5 · 5213

Offline Paulo

• Super Hero
Do you guys compress them?

I never find good compression for them, whether it's distorted solos or distorted accompaignment, I think they're always compressed enough... Am I listening wrong?

I mean, it looks like the tubes amps and cabinets, work enough on those track as far as it concerns to guitars, I can seem to use any compressor better than what I got on the original tracks  :o
Live the best you can 'cause you're gonna be dead for a long time.
Respect
Paulo Gomes

Offline napoleonboot

• Super Hero
Do you guys compress them?

I never find good compression for them, whether it's distorted solos or distorted accompaignment, I think they're always compressed enough... Am I listening wrong?

I mean, it looks like the tubes amps and cabinets, work enough on those track as far as it concerns to guitars, I can seem to use any compressor better than what I got on the original tracks  :o

Paulo

I think you are right, if the guitar is overdriven/distorted then it doesnt need further compession in the mix. I never do that myself.

For finger picking or clean jazzy stuff then compression is often necessary.

George
George can often be found playing stringy things, and singing...

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
As ever....the answer is......................' It depends '

Some times it will work.  Other times it'll make it sound worse. 

I find it can help gel doubled parts...and it can add sustain if that's wat what you need.   Remember compressors make parts sound more consistent so you can often have them lower in the mix without them disappearing on you.

If you can't find a setting that works then it probably doesn't need it  ;)

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline stoman

• Jedi
    • Stoman's website
I second what Mark says. Fully distorted guitars usually don't need any compression at all, but light distortion leaves more dynamics on the track which may require some compression depending on the song context.

For percussive and picked guitar parts I prefer parallel compression.

Regards,
  Steffen
Always looking for opportunities to mix your songs. Feel free to ask!
My Introductory Post

Offline docmidnite

• Super Hero
  • Rock on, dude
    • http://indiemusicworks.com/Henry_Mittnacht/
Paulo, look at the wave form of a distorted guitar... it already looks like a sausage = compressed, so the answer is almost visual. ;)

I second what Mark and Steffen say: with less distorted guitars you may grab a compressor for specific goals :)