Musicians Collaboration Studio

Buying New Monitors

Appleluza · 17 · 11568

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
I'm going to replace (or supplement) my 20-year-old JBL 4406 passive monitors and Ramsa power amp with some new active monitors.  I've been reading up on some different choices and listening to some of them down at the local Guitar Center. 

I'm thinking of getting the JBL LSR4326P's.  I want something that is detailed which can be tuned to the room acoustics.  I probably also need to get some room treatment baffles and bass trap.

Anybody familiar with these, or have other suggetions?

Background on my basement recording studio: a room about 13' x 30' with seven-foot eight-inch sheet-rocked ceiling.  I have carpet, a lot of bookcases, an 8-inch sofet (sheetrock over an air duct) that runs across the ceiling half-way down the room.  there is a 4x4 L-shaped alcove at one end where I have my DAW set up.

Rob T
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline Tacman7

I went with the Event ASP6's after a lot of reading.

I'm pretty happy with them. Most of the reviews are for the ASP8's.

My room is about 12x19 so I thought the six inch monitors would be enough.

The sixes have the same amps just smaller speakers. A little less low end.

Here's a couple of reviews if you need more reading:

http://mixonline.com/products/review/audio_event_electronics_asp/index.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/event.htm

Offline Tacman7

Electronic Musician has a lot of tutorials, I need to do some reading myself on compression and mastering.

More than you ever wanted to know:

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_absolutely_sound/index.html
http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_standing_tall/

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
thanks. 

I haven't gotten the JBL's yet.  Too much traveling and real-world work-type-stuff lately.  I did get a meter and mic and some sound files described by NickT in one of the threads here and i plan on starting by shooting my existing room and monitoring setup.  That will give me some kind of baseline (I hope) so when I get the new speakers and set them up, I'll be able to do some before and after comps and maybe understand a little more what I'm hearing.

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Electronic Musician has a lot of tutorials, I need to do some reading myself on compression and mastering.

More than you ever wanted to know:

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_absolutely_sound/index.html
http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_standing_tall/

Good Articles!
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I went with the Event ASP6's after a lot of reading.

I'm pretty happy with them. Most of the reviews are for the ASP8's.

My room is about 12x19 so I thought the six inch monitors would be enough.

The sixes have the same amps just smaller speakers. A little less low end.

Here's a couple of reviews if you need more reading:

http://mixonline.com/products/review/audio_event_electronics_asp/index.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/event.htm

A friend just got the 8's. he likes them. :)
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

I learnededid something from that first article.

That pointing the monitors toward your head in a triangle, don't remember hearing that before. In sound reinforcement you always want your front throws in a straight line so I've always did that.

That and I didn't have my daw setup sitting right in the middle (side to side). It's all on wheels so just have to roll it over a bit.

hmmmm studio setup thread....

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
I got the JBL LSR4326 speakers this past week and set them up Thursday night.  I also picked up a nice set of speaker stands and some foam pads.  I kept my existing speakers which I have had for over ten years - a pair of passive/analog JBL 4406 near-field monitors driven by a RAMSA WP9055 two-channel amp of the same vintage.  So now I can run my mixes through either configuration, toggling back and forth.  This has proved helpful in learning the new monitors, and I think will also be helpful to A/B mixes.

I've been spending as much time as I could find the past two days listening to familiar familiar music on the new speakers.  These particular monitors come with a built-in Room Mode Correction function, which is very easy to use.  You plug in an omni-directional mic (which comes with the pair) into the back of either speaker and then push a button on the front of the speaker.  It then emits a short sequence of reference tones (rather loud ascending-frequency emision) and voila - the speakers are adjusted to be flat to the room environnment.  You can use a remote control to toggle the RMC on and off.

I have always worried/wondered about my basement studio, which has 7-foot ceilings and some odd-shaped alcoves and closets and lots of book shelves and furniture.  What has surprised me the most so far is that I haven't heard much difference on the reference music I've been playing with the RMC on or off, which tells me that my room acoustic coloration was, perhaps, less intrusive than I had feared.  That is a good thing.  With all the carpeting, book shelves, and irregular wall and ceiling planes, I guess it is a pretty dead room.

There is a much more marked difference, however, between the new JBL  LSR4326's and the old JBL 4406/Ramsa Amp setup.  The new config sounds much brighter with a lot more detail on the high end and less roundness on the low end.  The old monitors actually sound more "pleasing" to my ear on some of the music - so, they must roll off or blend some of the higher frequencies which makes everything sound smoother, but in some cases muddier also.  I can really hear what is going on in the mix with these new babies.  Very cool.  I think it was worth the $1000 investment less a nice discount my GuitarStore sales buddy worked out.

Now, I'm gonna MIX MIX MIX.  I also bought the S.M.A.R.T guide to Mixing and Mastering which has some interesting reference videos and audio tracks on a DVD and I've been working my way through that along with reading some stuff NickT pointed me towards at www.tweakheadz.com.  I'm finding that reading two or three different sources which cover the same topics is helpful for me, because what one source leaves out the other sometimes fills in.  Having some audio and video segments to watch and lisen to are also helpful.  I've been playing around with this stuff for years, but this is the first time I've really tried to LEARN, in a more systematic way, what it is I'm doing with all this mixing gear. (The old approach was more or less to just twiddle knobs until something sounded good; although that technique still has its uses).

The new monitors have both analog and digital inputs.  I have only tested the analog in's so far, but will hook up some digital inputs from the MOTU traveler later in the month.

Rob T

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Rob,

Thanks for the input!

I am looking into new speakers. I did get my monitor repaired and all is working ok. But I have to re-learn the room and speakers again as levels have changed.

I am going for the Event ASP6's. I listened to a pair of the 6's and 8's. Both sound great. But i am in a small studio and use a sub, so the 6's should be fine.

Good luck with your setup!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline Tacman7

Alright Rob!

Sounds like some good monitors. I especially like the auto setup feature, read about that a little. Cool. Always good to have some new equipment!
I'm waiting on an adat interface I bought on Ebay right now, taking #$&*@$# forever to get here.

I'm trying to put a little more effort into the mixing myself.

I would basically mix the levels at the start of the track and let it go. I drag the volume envelopes around on the tracks, that seems to suit me more than sliding faders. I use more sub buses lately to keep levels in check.

Good luck with the new monitors, don't overdo it!
I was walking around with my ears ringing for a few days after
"lets see what these babies can do!"

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
Yeh, there is definitely an ear fatigue thing, not to mention the few times I blasted meself out of my chair because I had something inadvertantly turned up too loud someplace in the food chain.

One thing I've come to realize though, after buying the radio shack sound level meter NickT talked about on one of the threads here, was that I have probably been monitoring/mixing at too low a level.  If 85-90 db is the point where human hearing is typically the flatest across all music frequencies, then I'm going to boast the volume a bit in general.  Of course, it's always good to listen at different volumes as you move through the process.

Anyway, I've having fun, feeling like I'm learning new stuff and getting a little better at this, which is why I'm doing it, after all is said and done.  The Gibson Mixing and Mastering book has also been interesting to listen to on the new and old monitors, because it has examples of the same mix done different ways, e.g., vocals with and without air boasted at 18 kHz and with and without highs boasted at 5 kHz for example.  The benefit for me is that I can HEAR the difference, so I can relate the sound to the words in the book.  (I'm not big on all aspects of this book btw, so I wouldn't want anyone to run out and plunk down $50 thinking it is the answer to everything.  There are probably better sources on the web that are cheaper, but I picked this up on impulse and it is proving useful for ME.)

Later, RT

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I'm glad your having fun Rob!

I know some people who think 85db is too loud. I don't always mix there. But I always "Check" There! I have my meter on my desk and use it all the time. i am really finding out something cool. If you check all your reference material (your tune up stuff) at the same level, you get a better feel for what you are aiming to accomplish.

Steeley Dan is mixed much quieter than Nickleback. But set them to the same test level and you can hear what the engineers were going for.

Have fun!

Nick
NickT

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline rythymaker

I am assuming that the type of monitor we are discussing here, would help (me in particular) with alot of mix issues i encounter. I am going to definately look into purchasing a pair for myself.

I suppose my question is... Can and/or should one really rely liberally on the "Room Mode Correction" function?

I am looking forward to finding out how they are working for you Rob.

Thanx.
Jaden

Offline Tacman7

I took a mixing class at a JC once.

They had passive 6" alesis monitors with graphic eq's on each channel and used a frequency analyzer to set the eq's to achieve a more flat response.

Those weren't really being used as near fields though because they were about 6 feet back spread about 6 feet apart.

That's the first I heard that you have to mix at a decent level.

Fatigue does set in though, I only mix for an hour or two, otherwise I don't like the results when I hear it the next day.

The lazy mans guide to mixing, I have to rest my ears.

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
I'll post more info here as I get more experience.  I'm still too early in the process to really say how well it is working, although so far I am encouranged that this represents an improvement for my situation.