Musicians Collaboration Studio

"Best Of Me" -AliKat, mistermikev, jwoo10, jaaman

Offline mistermikev

• Me @ GrandCanyon
Best Of Me
Uploaded March 28, 2007
Finished May 5, 2007

This song started out as just a little vamp I was messing around with.  The original mp3 had just 2 guitar tracks, one bass line, and a drum machine... a pretty modest start. 
Ali Kat came along and made the song her own.  She wrote lyrics and developed a vocal line almost overnight.  The song had evolved from a simple vamp into something much bigger than that.
It wasn't long before jwoo10 joined up. Jwoo10 threw down a studio quality drum track on his first try.  We didn't even ask him for another take... the first one was perfect.  The recording of his set was very high quality and the tracks he laid added the rhythm to the rhythm section.  Enter jaaman and the classic mix of piano and organ sounds that was just what the song needed. 
The song had really come together, but it needed a lot of work.  That's where Davidinoz came in.  At this point the recording was loud; literally 'nothing' had been done to fit all the parts together.  I'm not going to lie and tell you I know what Davidinoz actually did to this mix... (I think he might have a magic wand back there cause I'm certain he rerecorded my parts using my rig - but did it the right way this time!) -he should be teaching a class here on collab.

For everyone who contributed a part to this song, chimed in on the original thread, offered guidance, delivered feedback, listened to us... THANK YOU!

Ali Kat - Vocals, backup vocals, lyrics
Mistermikev - Rhythm, solo and bass guitar
Jwoo10 - Drums
Jaaman - Keyboards
David Timson - Mix & Master

You might have known that once or twice I have cried.
Seen me wipe away the tears, from my eyes.
But baby this time its not the same you'll see.
Cause, baby I'm through with you using me.

I won't let you, I don't want you,
You're not gonna get the best of me.
Be gone now, Cause I've somehow,
Put all those memories behind me
They're gone now, long gone away.

(Instru)

My eyes....are dry
Can't cry...anymore
You'll see...I'll be
Stronger as you walk out the door.

Be gone, Be gone,
Be gone away
Just leave me alone.
I'm done, I'm done,
I'm done today
You won't use me no more.

You might have known that once or twice I've cried
Seen me wipe away the tears from my eyes.
But baby this time its not the same you'll see
Cause baby I'm through with you using me

I won't let you
I don't want you
You're not gonna get the best of me
Be gone, be gone, be gone away
Just leave me alone
I'm done, I'm done, I'm done today.
You won't use me no more
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 09:03:29 PM by NickT »
"Follow your heart, but let your head lead the way."

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Sounds great Gang!

Ali -Nice delivery!
Mike - very cool first collab on the site!
John -drums sound great
Jay - Nice flow with the keys.
And Dave - very nice mix.

Congrats!

NickT
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

youtube

I aggree with Nick..

Good work...

Congats everyone... 

Tubes :D

Offline Davidinoz

• Damn I wish I still looked this good...
I'm not going to lie and tell you I know what Davidinoz actually did to this mix... (I think he might have a magic wand back there cause I'm certain he rerecorded my parts using my rig - but did it the right way this time!)

There is no magic - if you turn all the knobs to the right place it mixes itself ;D ;D ;D

(apologies to Bobby for stealing and changing his quote)

youtube

I meant to come back and give a more of a constructive feed back. It was late when I first posted here.
Well you folsk did a nice job and I like the bass and drums.

This song started out as just a little vamp I was messing around with.  The original mp3 had just 2 guitar tracks, one bass line, and a drum machine... a pretty modest start.

The birth, Baby shower forth coming.  >:D

Ali Kat came along and made the song her own.  She wrote lyrics and developed a vocal line almost overnight.  The song had evolved from a simple vamp into something much bigger than that.

Ali your rock and you are very talented. Inspiring. M.C. is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have M.C.
You will write super super great songs here. I am sure of it....   :o

The drums are solid like a rock and well played. Love the hats in the solo section.  8)

Enter jaaman and the classic mix of piano and organ sounds that was just what the song needed.  The song had really come together, but it needed a lot of work.

It's like they crawl out of the wood work these great players. Very cool Jaaman!  8)

That's where Davidinoz came in.  At this point the recording was loud; literally 'not ing' had been done to fit all the parts together.  I'm not going to lie and tell you I know what Davidinoz actually did to this mix... (I think he might have a magic wand back there cause I'm certain he rerecorded my parts using my rig - but did it the right way this time!) -he should be teaching a class here on collab.

Nice mix. I think things could have been panned just a touch more and the vocals come up just a tad but that's no required any longer. Yes Dave is very experienced. Great work. I was suprised Dave did not play bass but you were really good at it anyways.

Perhaps for some of you folks this was your first project together.. i:e  "maybe"... you all have done
a wonderful job.

Next

Tubes  ;)

Offline mistermikev

• Me @ GrandCanyon
NickT, ken, youtube, groverk, jeff, thanks so much for your comments.  I'm gonna return the fav and check your stuff out as soon as I can... if I haven't allready. 
youtube, haven't read your comments entirely yet but will in due time
Davidinoz - can't thank you enough so I won't even try.

Offline mistermikev

• Me @ GrandCanyon
thanks bobby!  appreciate the crowd and applause!
thanks again youtube!  I'm sure dave is a knockout bassist... based on that kicka$$ alembic he's toting in his old pic.  Fortunately for me I got the bass done b4 he could show me up!
dave - turn the knobs... hmm, so just right down how I should turn em all, I'll set my rig like that, -and never have to adjust them again... right?
thanks again all.

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Nice tune Mike. Turned out pretty good. It helps when you have all those great players and mixers around. Guitars sound great! Another song done by the MCS crowd. Woo Hoo!!  8)

Dave

Offline mistermikev

• Me @ GrandCanyon
thanks studioplayer. 

Hey KRBLUES GANG!  I posted the finished project here...

http://www.reverbnation.com/mistermikev?popup_render=%2Fcontroller%2Fartist%2Fadd_photo%2F9871%3Ffrom_activate%3Dtrue

just thought you'd like to know.

keep well
mv

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV

Offline mistermikev

• Me @ GrandCanyon
thank you very much nick.  which was your favorite?  my fav player is the jem, my fav sound is the es295 (but dang is it a club!), and my fav looker is my tele.  that tele has the texas tele setup, the ash tray is actually gold plated and cost a bundle, every piece of hardware has a fender logo on it.  I love that one... it just has a limited use cause of all that twang!
anywho, thanks for checking out the collection!
mv

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:34:44 PM by mistermikev »

Offline Caine

hey guys!

excellent work...everything fits so well together. ali, you got so much soul in your voice !!
the overall groove is very nice...yeah, the incomparable john wooten on drums :-)

GOOD WORK!!!!!!!