Musicians Collaboration Studio

How do get so much volume on your final mixes?

srvfender · 45 · 17539

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
Here are some ozone presets from Jonas on the cakewalk site.

NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline DoozerDan

• Just another guitarist.
Ozone looks awesome, and sound great from what I've read about it.  I was most disappointed to find that it was not standalone, and I don't have any recording soft which it'll run with, at least, I don't think I do.  I read that it works on Live.. I have a sort of limited full version of that, I'll have to try it this evening..   Does anyone know if it works on things like Audacity, or Reaper?  I couldn't find anywhere which said whether it did or not.  Hope I do have something it'll work on, 'cause it'd suck having to buy a $700+ program just to run it... 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:19:03 PM by DoozerDan »

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Mark,

Ozone is a mastering plug-in used in Sonar (in my case). The only volume meters are those in Sonar and my external soundcard.  My problem was in deciding which one to trust.

AJ

I see.....why not export your file to another program that's better suited for mastering ?

CosmicD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick

I see.....why not export your file to another program that's better suited for mastering ?

CosmicD

Mark,

Ozone is designed specifically for mastering. I don't think the program is the problem as much as the user, unfortunately.

Doozer,

Go on the izotope website, I think they list which programs are compatible with Ozone3. If not, you can shoot them an e-mail.

AJ

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
I meant insert the Ozone plugin into something that's not Sonar that may have better metering and other facilities like analasys tools - like Wavelab , Soundforge etc.

I always find trying to master within the DAW a bit of a compromise.

CosmicD

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
CosmicD,

Interesting point. I like Sonar overall but may consider buying additional software in the future. Any suggestions from your experience on what to buy?

AJ

Offline DoozerDan

Yeah, got a list of what programs it runs with.  Ableton Live is one of them, and I have a demo of that, so I tried Ozone out last night..  Whoa... I just tried a few presets on a song that I've pretty much done the final mix for, man, the difference in sound is astounding, I think I'm in love ^_^  Prop is, said demo won't let me save anything  >:(  Grr... Sucks.  Guess I'll have to find which of the many programs it does run with that I actually want.

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
Hey Doozer,

Lots of people (including myself) use cakewalk Sonar. Its very reasonably priced and good overall. I would just go by the soundcard meters for maximum volume. There are many other good choices as well but for the price Sonar is hard to beat.
AJ

Offline DoozerDan

Yeah, I was just looking at Sonar, it seems it's a Windows only program.  Now that's a bummer for me, a Mac user.  I've been looking at Logic Pro 8, doin' some research on it.  And so far, I've come up with hardly any faults with it.  And it's only $649AU, so I imagine I'll be getting that.  Plus it runs all the GarageBand files and stuff.  So that's a big plus for me.  Ozone works with it to, made sure of that one. 

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
Good deal. Glad you found something that will work for you. A Mac would be my computer of choice too if there was more software available for its operating system.

AJ

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Good deal. Glad you found something that will work for you. A Mac would be my computer of choice too if there was more software available for its operating system.

Here we go again LOL ... that's an old argument that is no longer really a factor. 

Sure there are a LOT of choices in the windows world for apps that do just about anything,  but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find something that you can do on windows that you can't do on Mac ... the big thing is that while there are usually a lot of choices in the windows world for a particular thing, most of them suck and you have to wade through 20 apps before you find the one that does it well.  Lots of times you also bust the hell out of your system installing them to test things out with.

On Mac you may only have a handful of choices, but most of them are good, and you rarely bust anything installing and removing them.  Most mac installs are drag and drop .. you simply drag the application to your hard drive .. anywhere you want on your hard drive and it's self-contained.  Uninstalls of the same programs usually mean dragging that app you don't want anymore to the trash.  Done deal.  No registries, start menus, spyware, malware, viruses .. nadda.

Sorry to be long winded about it, but this is something that I always feel the need to point out.  At last count there were hundreds of thousands of Mac OSX developers signed up with Apple and making great apps.

Mark (the mac evangelist)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:02:33 PM by Gerk »

Offline srvfender

• Soundclick
Hey Mark,

I have no problem with MAC and I think my post was favorable to Macintosh. But unfortunatley I have too much invested in my current system to change over.  I don't consider Cakewalk an inferior application though ,and according to Doozer, they don't have a MAC version. It was in that context that my comments were made.

Peace,

AJ

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
Hey Mark,

I have no problem with MAC and I think my post was favorable to Macintosh. But unfortunatley I have too much invested in my current system to change over.  I don't consider Cakewalk an inferior application though ,and according to Doozer, they don't have a MAC version. It was in that context that my comments were made.

Peace,

AJ

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
+1 for sonar. 6 was a very complete package. With 7 they tightened it up more.
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com