Musicians Collaboration Studio

cool finds: ejamming.com anyone try this?

atljam · 21 · 9082

Offline atljam

Hi all,

I just hooked up with ejamming.com and I believe it could be a great tool for us folks who are trying to collab. It would be great for "fleshing out" new ideas also.

Good internet connection and soundcard are all that is needed as they provide the interface.
I'm currently setup and ready to make noise, I did not have much success getting folks to play on my first try so it is small audience who seem to be online.

If anyone has tried this and if there are any takers who want to setup a session I would be interested. my profile is: dclancy

It would be best to go check it out and do a solo jam so you get to understand how it all works first.

Dan
Keys, Guitar, Songwriting

Offline BassPlayer

• ReverbNation - David Bellizzi
I saw the site but then forgot about it. From what I could tell it's a lot like NINJAM but you don't monitor locally you monitor from the server so everyone has the similar lag. Or so the docs say.

Have you tried to use it?

How well does it work?

Offline atljam

I only have done a solo Jam with it and was pretty impressed, they have reduced the latency and also have a new feature called Overdub which lets you hear your track pretty much in real time
also once you play a couple of tracks with someone you can click the Send song which exchanges a hi quality wav files of what the other played and so now you have no latency.

I'm curious to work with it, the thing that struck me when I set this up was it is fantastic opportunity to come as close as working live with someone and I like the collab site concept like Musicians Collab but the fluidity you could get coming together for a session and vibing that's priceless.

When I started collabing back in 1997 using a dial-up, Real player files it was horrible but it was still so cool that I could be atlanta and write a tune with someone in British Columbia CA

Now its really getting real we just got to tap the technology and as they say "we be jammin'.

Dan

Offline BassPlayer

Offline atljam

thanks bassplayer, I don't know what your wknd is like maybe we can test the waters, do a simple blues jam just to see how the whole deal works

anybody else want to checkout this ejamming.com?

could be the start of something good and our collabs here will start to get some real dynamic benefit.
I know I probably re-record a bunch of times just about anything I do and use the comfort of my studio to make things right but I think the cool part here is that you don't have to do it right and you can always go back on your own time and fix issues. I see it more as creative meeting of minds.

my id on ejamming is: dclancy  gonna try to be available sat/sun this weekend

Dan

Offline BassPlayer

I have a practice on Sunday from 5-7. I still need to install it on my DAW system but that should be easy enough. Do you have IM? Most of mine are already listed. IM me and we will jamm.

Offline Sternen

• Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. - Zappa
bassplayer -- the step son is heading out with the boyscouts this weekend so I may have some time sat morning if you are up to it -- I would love to try messing around with it

I will try to get it installed before then and post my id when I sign up
http://www.peteclimie.com - Revel in the blandness of a base install of Joomla

Offline BassPlayer

I'm WFH today so later on today  Iwill be installing it on my DAW.  We also might want to try vstunnel because they now do collabing via a VST. http://www.vstunnel.com/en/0,35,00.html

Offline atljam

Well, lets see how the ejamming goes, I see the vsttunnel cost about 69 brit pounds and I would easily invest in that if I was sure it was very functional

I just love this technology stuff.

Dan

Offline BassPlayer

I tried to do the ejamming thing last night and here is some hel[full tips

Have a mic hooked up so you can communicate easier
The limiting factor is upload speed.
One guy told me that 802.11g gives dropouts. Which is what I have on the box. Go wired or 802.11n
Go direct and use headphones to monitor your self via hardware monitoring .
Turn the local slider all the way down.

I'm going move my DSL into my office phone line and then try it again. It just doesn't work for me.

Offline BassPlayer

So after hooking up my music system to Ethernet I was able to jam with people but there were times when it would get choppy and lose sync. most likely when the wife was surfing the net.  I was jamming with boxy from Canada and  for the most part it worked well.

I thing it would be a great aid in collaboration, especially with a mic since it's almost like yourt there. It was very easy for me to stop and say hey what was that chord you were playing there.

Offline atljam

Hi BP,
I tried it also this weekend, I guess we were on at different times, it also seemed like not really that many people were there maybe 4-6 at a time.

I played with 3 different people, 2 guitarist and 1 drummer.
each was a bit different and each learning experience.

I have ethernet so my speed was not an issue, a couple of things improve the experience, the use of the overdub button and pressing the REC on your one trk gives you a more in sync, less echo affect, on the drummer we worked until his mics were adjusted to get his volumes right, you tend to get a more dramatic sync issue but when I put the overdub/REC on his trk it was pretty decent.
Also we dumped our session and went from Distant Player to Better Audio and it was much better.
I use my Motif MLAN via firewire for all my audio inputs and so basically I can play songs off the Motif, drop in audio files, use mics, guitars the whole 9 yards so its pretty fantastic in that regards.

The lag issues are a bit hard to get used to, but each version that they put out they have made major improvements says the drummer I played with.

well  I give it a 6 out 10 right now,
I wondering if something like SKYPE might work for just a one on one.

Anyway I'll keep checking it out.

Dan

Offline BassPlayer

I hear the over dub thing was good also but never tried it.
The one thing I don't like is that it keeps changing my Presonus driver to 48K and then  Sonar complains and I have to go reset it.

Offline atljam

I hear the over dub thing was good also but never tried it.
The one thing I don't like is that it keeps changing my Presonus driver to 48K and then  Sonar complains and I have to go reset it.

Yeah, well for obvious reasons the 48k standard is necessary as bandwidth would be too much for Internet also 48 is the industry standard of sound cards. and yes each time I bounce between the two programs I have to change my MLAN sample rate and bit depth but hey its pretty amazing we are this far.

Dan