Musicians Collaboration Studio

FLAC

Argle · 16 · 10721

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Mentioned this in the Project Studio, thought I'd post here.  Before I came here I had never heard of .ape files; which seem to be the de facto standard here.  How do they compare to FLAC, which is also lossless?  Are they superior?  I've never seen anyone use the FLAC format here.  I personally think it's quite handy... there's a free encoder on the website, and supposedly it works with both Mac and PC.  Seems that it might be a more convenient format than .ape, but then again who knows.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
This is the first time I've really looked into FLAC. Since I've been here I've always used Monkeys Audio. I didn't discover .ape files until I joined this site. It does seem the Mac users are having a bit of an issue with .ape

Most are on PC so no problem. Not sure if one is better than other when it comes to keeping all the information.  ???

Dave

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
The following link gives a good set of charts comparing the different compression products. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two. I suppose the main reason that monkeys audio (ape) is the norm is because it was free at the time (still is), and what everyone settled on.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

Truth is, I don't personally care what is used, my connectivity allows me to even use .wav, if the other person can upload them.

As far as using a lossless conversion, apes are handy for me, since my audio production software is Adobe Audition, and it will import/export ape files without the need of an external conversion utility.
BW@

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
If any mac users are having issues with .ape files they can PM me .. there's a great utility I use for them which hs never given me any grief, but it's a PITA to download (you have to join a yahoo group to do it) .. I can hook them up with it.  It's free and freely available, ut the author just seems to be paranoid and will only post it to that group now . it's called xACT.

Mark

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website

Offline nishant

I was about to start this thread :)
nice work.

Bobby,does the 30day trial version also support ape conversion?

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
30 day trial of what?  FLAC is free ...

Mark

Offline nishant

^adobe Audition trial
coz i cant convert any ape file

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
Aren't you an OSX user?  If so download xACT here (it's free and will convert apes and a lot o other formats):

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

Mark

Offline Bobby Watson

• Super Hero
  • What's a band without members?
    • Backporch Dreams
I was about to start this thread :)
nice work.

Bobby,does the 30day trial version also support ape conversion?

A small file "ape.flt" needs to be added to the audition directory. Then, it will recognize ape files. But, I'd suggest you follow Mark's suggestion. Changing audio software packages for conversion sake is a bit drastic.
If you were set on trying it in Audition, I can give you the little .flt file here:
http://echoprojectstudio.org/post/ape.flt
BW@

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I think the support for importing Flac directly into Sonar was only added in version 7...whereas ape files were supported earlier, as Sonar is a pretty popular DAW around here that may explain it.

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Ape files are supported in Sonar??  :o  I thought I tried to import them and it didn't work.  I have v6 producer edition.

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
Ape files are supported in Sonar??  :o  I thought I tried to import them and it didn't work.  I have v6 producer edition.

Well they do in 7... I thought they did in 6 too but it's been a while  ::)

File / Import / Audio / ..and then change the browser to show all files

I wouldn't swear to it working in 6 though....man converting them must be a pain

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
Ugh I hate it.  ;D  I wish there were plugins to expand the supported files of Sonar, would be most useful.