Musicians Collaboration Studio

Writing Out Your Songs

LindyM · 17 · 16429

Offline LindyM

One of the major complaints on every collaboration board I've ever frequented is that it takes too long for a song to progress from its original submission to completion.  There are ways to alleviate this that should not pose an undue burden on anyone.

The most important option, in my opinion, would be to offer a written version of your song.  I've seen several threads begun here that only offer an audio file and a list of desired instruments.  That means that each individual who so much as considers being involved on a project must go through some sort of process to develop a chord progression against a set of lyrics (which all too many times has not been posted, either).  Obviously, this is even more prevalent with instrumental submissions.

There are differing levels of expertise when it comes to doing music charting, and I would not expect everyone to find it easy to do.  But it makes far more sense, at least to me, to have one person, the song's author in most cases, do this and post it than having 3, 4, 5 or more people doing it, with possibly different results.  Posting a chart in .pdf (Acrobat) or .doc (Word) format should make our songs accessible to everyone.

Starting at one place will allow everyone to be on the same page (sorry 'bout the pun) as they begin tracking.  And to me, it should be a requirement.  From there, everyone is free to offer suggestions for changes, but at least you don't have multiple people doing the job of one.

Thanks.

Lindy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:01:25 PM by LindyM »
Lindy Mack
Keyboards, Sax, Violin, Vocals, Mixing

Offline Studioplayer

• Super Hero
  • Overdrive
    • Reverbnation Website
Yep. I totally agree. I think I'll make an effort to post the chords of any song I post needing instrumentation. Helps me when I want to audition. Saves time trying to figure it out no matter how simple it may be.  :)

Dave

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I agree but the only problem I have is when I've transposed stuff or used a capo, and can't figure it out...or when it's a slightly unusual chord or way of playing that's hard to describe.

I shoulda listened in those music lessons  ::)
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline juice

• Give it Some Juice
    • juicerocks.com
That is a very good practice to get into the habit of.
Great point Lindy.

It's not all that hard to do either. In fact it should be at least you can offer to make it easy for other to jump in on. It is so much easier to have some form of structure in place.

Even as talented as I am  ;D I'm slow to transcribe things and would rather just start playing along.

Often times it's quite frequent I don't know what I'm playing on the guitar. In those cases I simple write it out like Tab low string to high
799800/577600/355400/etc.....

Even studio session players get Chord Charts.  ;)

I don't question why some people are addicted to making themselves suffer.
I'm just glad to have an audience.

Offline juice

• Give it Some Juice
    • juicerocks.com
Capo 2ng frett

x02210 = Bm (but plays like Am)  ;D
I don't question why some people are addicted to making themselves suffer.
I'm just glad to have an audience.

Offline Tricia41

• Super Hero
  • sing
    • Hair by Tricia
I always cheat . My Casio keyboard tells me the name of each chord I play. When I like a chord, I write it on the lyric sheet above the word where the chord changes. That's all I know how to do. :-\

Offline LindyM

I always cheat . My Casio keyboard tells me the name of each chord I play. When I like a chord, I write it on the lyric sheet above the word where the chord changes. That's all I know how to do. :-\
That's as good a place as any to begin.  Quality players can use the most basic chords to create something interesting.

I've recently discovered some really good autoharp players who can do some astonishing things.  Given the push-button chords available on the instrument, it's remarkable how interesting their recordings can be.

But even at that, posting lyrics should be an absolute requirement.  In fact, if your song is posted without a lyric sheet, you can bet I'll ignore it.  It could be a great song, but there are some tools that should simply be offered without having to ask.

It would be like being asked to help remodel a house without having a blueprint or knowing who would provide the hammer.

Lindy
Lindy Mack

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics
And to me, it should be a requirement.

I personally wouldn't want to make it a requirement to provide a chart to post a collaboration here, but if it's helpful to some and people want to post charts go for it.  The more info posters can provide the better!

Mark

Offline NickT

• NickT
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • Here I am!
    • Ain't TV
I am musically illiterate. I play by ear. So the most you would get out of me was a basic chord chart. My Father was a big band leader. He had charts for his 17 piece. He heard a song I did in the studio with a very melodic solo. He asked, "How do you know what to play?" I told him the notes are in my head, I just have to find them on the guitar!

:)
NickT

"...My life just Ain't TV..."

www.AintTV.com

www.TestafiedRecords.com

Offline jeff

• Super Hero
    • Jeff Smith and Friends
I do it by ear too. Haven't written a single bit of notation since college. Doubt I could even offer a chord chart at this piont.

Jeff

Offline CosmicDolphin

• Jedi
  • Do or do not..there is no try
    • Phonicworks : TV Production Music
I'm sure Code Monkey could knock up a mod that would analyse the music and extrapolate the tempo , time signature , chords used and then using nueral speech recognition figure out the lyrics for us ?  Next update Mark..whaddaya say  >:D

CD
We never finish a mix... we simply abandon them.
You can't polish a turd, but you can always spray paint it GOLD
Great songs are not written, they are re-witten

Offline LindyM

I'm sure Code Monkey could knock up a mod that would analyse the music and extrapolate the tempo , time signature , chords used and then using nueral speech recognition figure out the lyrics for us ?  Next update Mark..whaddaya say  >:D
Remarkably enough, there is software that will analyze music and even break down chords into individual notes.  I'm not sure if it converts the identified notes into chord symbols or guitar tablature, but what it does is still pretty neat.

It's not cheap, though, so we're all counting on Code Monkey now.  We want the mod, and no one wants to pay for it!   ;)

Nueral speech recognition would be cool, too.  I'd settle for an upgrade.

Lindy
Lindy Mack

Offline Gerk

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • code monkey no sing!
    • Studio Gerk Pics

CD

hehe, not on my priority list, nor likely to ever make my prioriy list.

Charts are handy for some people, but I've never personally used them for collabs.  If people want charts they should request the originator to post them is the best bet.

Mark

Offline Appleluza

• Appleluza Music
The most important option, in my opinion, would be to offer a written version of your song.  I've seen several threads begun here that only offer an audio file and a list of desired instruments.  That means that each individual who so much as considers being involved on a project must go through some sort of process to develop a chord progression against a set of lyrics (which all too many times has not been posted, either). 

I just wanted to say that I agree with Lindy.  When I was doing my first song, either here or over at CC, I don't remember, someone suggested a handy format that I have used for every song since.  It works like this:

Verse1
|C....|F....|G7....|
La la la type in first line of lyrics
|C....|Am....|G7....|
Next line of lyrics la la la

The vertical bars represent a measure and each little dot between the bars represents a beat (so for 3/4 time, I put 3 dots).  If you have a chord change in the measure, you can chart it like this: |C..F..|

It's a little bit of work and less "short-handed" than a typical Nashville chart or jazz chart, but I think it is easy to read and basically lays everything out so there is no miscommunication. 

Also, a great web site for figuring out the correct name of a guitar chord is here: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

Rob
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:28:35 AM by Appleluza »
Rob Talbert, Songwriter and Producer for Appleluza, a virtual multi-genre band.

Offline LindyM

Thanks, Rob.

Let me just reiterate that if you (generic "you," as in anybody here) really don't have the skills to do charts, THAT'S OKAY!  The fact that you're here contributing is SO MUCH more important than dem pesky details.  If all you can do is write out the lyrics (misspelled & everything), that's better than expecting 3, 4, 5 or more people to come up with exactly the same thing with nothing other than a audio file to start.

IOW, I'm not asking that it be a requirement.  I'm simply reminding folks that the more you start with, the better and more consistent results you'll get in a shorter period of time.

And above everything else, the reason this board exists is for musicians and songwriters to help one another.  So if you think there may be confusion about a chord progression on a song you're submitting, ASK for the help - with charting, too.

Thanks.

Lindy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:09:58 AM by LindyM »
Lindy Mack