Musicians Collaboration Studio

Song For Karna (new version) (Andy/Adam/John/Steve/Argle/Marc)

AndyG6508 · 29 · 12815

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
    • https://soundcloud.com/bumpy-buttons
This song was written about a mythological figure, Karna, culled from the Indian Epic "the Mahabharata". It was released some time back, but I had always meant to get the vocals re-done.

Now Steve has very kindly stepped in and come up with simply awesome lead and backing vocal parts.

Adam's guitar parts and John's drums were always great, and Marc helped me get a great tone on the bass guitar.

Hope you enjoy the listen, and many thanks to Steve for "liberating" Karna and to Argie for the stunning new mix.

Cheers
Andy

Credits for the new version:

Steve McAndrew: Lead & backing Vocals
Adam Rodeh: All guitars, including solos
John Wooten: Drums
Andy Gupta: Bass, hammond organ, electric pianos
Marc Traynor: Sound engineering on bass
Adam Kirby: Final mixing/master

The lyric:

Song For Karna (c) A Gupta, 2008, 2009 (Lyrics & Music)

Verse1:

You never knew
Your real mother's love
You were found & raised by others as their own;
Fathered by the Sun God
Blessed with his radiance
Your rightful place was gained too late
A warrior true and brave
A worthy rival (and) a loyal friend
But a chain of circumstances
Brought curses in its stead

Verse2: 

Fated against your own
Who walked the Royal path
(You were) befriended by their mortal enemy
You chose your side
Your rivalry intensified
Either you or Arjuna must die
(You became) a true king amongst men
Known for your generosity
You gave away the rings and armour
(The) divine protection against your foes...

Chorus:

You
Were the noblest of them all
A tragic hero standing tall
You were the greatest of them all
You
Were the finest of them all
Though you finally had to fall

Solo : Guitar solo 1st 

Verse3:

And of the war that came
There are legendary tales
Of betrayal, valor and of chivalry
(Your) fortunes ebbed and flowed in war
(But) you stayed true to your ideals
While waiting for that moment to arrive
And on the seventeenth day
You met your Arch rival on the field
You proved yourself more than equal
Before the curse struck you mortally...

Chorus:

You
Were the noblest of them all
The one on the outside
You
Were the bravest of them all
Though you finally had to fall

Instrumental Section

End

The link to the old version:

http://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php?topic=4672.msg76703#msg76703

Offline McLovin

• Super Hero
    • HDA
This turned out great Andy.  I recall hearing the original.  I  have to give kudos to Steves vocals and your keys on this.

Nice job.
Keyboard Player/Singer/Songwriter
www.mclovintheduo.com
www.yournewneighbors.net

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
This turned out great Andy.  I recall hearing the original.  I  have to give kudos to Steves vocals and your keys on this.

Nice job.

Thanks so much, Jay, for the kind comments re the vocals and the keys.

Yes, Steve's vox were the icing on the ckae so as to speak!

Cheers
Andy

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Turned out Very Nice indeed.

Killer interpretation Steve!

Thanks John, your drums for this were rather special as well!!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
Another great version Steve and the boys, icing on the cake! :) Very tasteful interpretation,rock solid notes, beautiful job! ;).. not to belittle Andy's track though, loved that throaty, slightly raspy sound he had..in contrast to Steve's pitch-perfect vox, Andy's vox were also quite unique and charming with a bit of that late 60's/early 70's "imperfect-ness" rock sound as well..with Andy,thinking of bands like Mott The Hoople, even alot of early Bowie (he also sounded more European which is confusing!)..I'm sure many a classical vocal trainer back then had a fit hearing those guys..but they'll be playing Ziggy Stardust or "All the young dudes" for 100 years! ;D Probably a factor as well is that notes/keys that are childs play for Steve, with Andy he really had to push hard (being the guy who melodyned them, I know that for sure!Oops, let out the secret..sorry Andy! ;D) Also why I think Holger has such a cool sound as well, very unique...he'd probably give this a cool twist as well! ;D(where is he these days BTW?)
Great work..again!
Marc

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Another great version Steve and the boys, icing on the cake! :) Very tasteful interpretation,rock solid notes, beautiful job! ;).. not to belittle Andy's track though, loved that throaty, slightly raspy sound he had..in contrast to Steve's pitch-perfect vox, Andy's vox were also quite unique and charming with a bit of that late 60's/early 70's "imperfect-ness" rock sound as well..with Andy,thinking of bands like Mott The Hoople, even alot of early Bowie (he also sounded more European which is confusing!)..I'm sure many a classical vocal trainer back then had a fit hearing those guys..but they'll be playing Ziggy Stardust or "All the young dudes" for 100 years! ;D Probably a factor as well is that notes/keys that are childs play for Steve, with Andy he really had to push hard (being the guy who melodyned them, I know that for sure!Oops, let out the secret..sorry Andy! ;D) Also why I think Holger has such a cool sound as well, very unique...he'd probably give this a cool twist as well! ;D(where is he these days BTW?)
Great work..again!
Marc

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the thoughtful listen and the appreciative comments!!

Nice of you to praise my vocal style :D (melodyne is my friend  ;D), but something like this must be child's play to Steve - effortless!!

Really liked the amp sim/tone you worked out for the bass as well!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
 ;D ;D ;D I do find Steve's vocals can be compared to one of those Honda S2000 sports cars...there's a magical point at about 7000 rpm (where a chevy v8 is almost redlining and ready to blow pistons through the hood)where the motor kicks in and snaps your head back almost giving you whiplash! ;D(When I try to write stuff purposefully for him to sing...if I can't even barely hum it in falseto with just air coming out, I know I've hit his cruising zone! ;D)

Offline Pleasuredome

• Super Hero
  • Symi Rock
    • My Web Page
Thanks Marc,

I just hope I get the chance to show Simon Cowell and the panel just how much I love singing ;D

I remember the days (and they are spookily not soo long ago) when I did the solo gigs and honestly tried to hide behind the microphone :-[ :-[ Thankfully, not any more 8) 8)

I agree about the timbre of your vox Andy, they did suit the song very well man.......more Floyd than me by a country mile :)

Offline riggorog

• Super Hero
    • Reverbnation
Very nice! Everything's awesome, but I like the keys especially :) Like the mix too, the drums really sound good.

Roger

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Thanks Marc,

I just hope I get the chance to show Simon Cowell and the panel just how much I love singing ;D

All the best for that Steve, you just go and blow their socks off!!

I remember the days (and they are spookily not soo long ago) when I did the solo gigs and honestly tried to hide behind the microphone :-[ :-[ Thankfully, not any more 8) 8)

Can't believe that!

I agree about the timbre of your vox Andy, they did suit the song very well man.......more Floyd than me by a country mile :)

Thanks  :) but your vox sounds absolutely fab on this.

Cheers
Andy

Offline AndyG6508

• Jedi
Very nice! Everything's awesome, but I like the keys especially :) Like the mix too, the drums really sound good.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the appreciative comments - Im glad you liked the song.

The keys - it was one of those nights where I seemed to hit all the right notes....a bit like throwing darts blindfolded :)

Cheers
Andy

Offline Argle

• Alchemystic Audio
not to belittle Andy's track though, loved that throaty, slightly raspy sound he had..in contrast to Steve's pitch-perfect vox, Andy's vox were also quite unique and charming with a bit of that late 60's/early 70's "imperfect-ness" rock sound as well..

Agreed.  There was nothing wrong with Andy's vocals that a retake with a pop filter couldn't fix.

Offline canuk62

• Super Hero
Agreed with the pop filter...I tried a couple things (which SLIGHTLY helped...but pretty hard to "fix")...Andy, you know what you can ask Santa to put in the sock over the fireplace! ;D ;D

Steve...4 words of advice when you're singing in front of...that...person (Cowell)....DON'T LOOK AT HIM! ;D ;D ;D ;D (either that, or stare the mother-&%$#$% down!!! >:D)(odds are...for TV...the spots will be so bright you won't see out there anyway...) ^-^
Marc
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:05:08 PM by canuk62 »